PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise, or Sunset?

Andrew Harrell
06-18-2016, 09:06 PM
Glennie and Adhika have been inspiring me to look for landscape picture opportunities, and what is better than an early sunrise -- or was it a late sunset? :w3

Original

Sony a77ii, Tamron 150-600, 500mm, f6.3 at 1/2000, ISO 1250 (hand-held)

So I was not really looking for this, it just happened and I took the shot. Otherwise I would have been a bit more serious with a completely different lens, set up on a tripod, long exposure, low ISO. I still think the shot came out ok after a little post-processing.

In LR CC: Slight crop on left side. Dropped Exposure 1.19, Highlights -19, Shadows -40, Whites -60, Blacks +5 All this to darken the background but not the clouds. Also Clarity +19 and Vibrance +31 to add punch top the sun. Also Lowered Yellow in Hue -4.

This was more of what I actually saw than the original -- the colors this morning (or was it evening?) were exceptional for just a few minutes .....

Hoping I didn't "overcook" this in post-processing; appreciate your C&C .....

AP

Glennie Passier
06-19-2016, 12:56 AM
Clouds are the most amazing things. And when they just happen, as you say, it wonderful. I like the originals FG trees showing more depth (Lighter trees in the BG) rather than the worked on image. I like your crop but would consider taking a slice off the top. I also like how you have changed the colour of the sun. Good idea. Dust bunny alert! RHS top.

Adhika Lie
06-20-2016, 12:36 AM
Beautiful sky! I played with this concept (http://adhika.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Pacific-Ocean/G0000BWp9UUJBnw8/I0000sVbo.H8N_Dc/C00005AIxKdMoi6Q) a little back and I know that it's not for everyone, but I think it's quite something to present a sun right up front like that. I like the sun's placement you presented: Being slightly off centered like that, but I am leaning towards taking off a slice from the top, making it a little more panoramic. One thing that I think could improve this photo is focus on the near tree on the LL corner... it would be a really nice shot if it is also in focus.

Oh, and I would guess sunset. But I can't really tell! Tell us. I really wanna know. Haha.

Andrew Harrell
06-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Like I said earlier, this was an unplanned shot. I was out early in the morning looking for birds, and happened to glance over my shoulder and saw this sight. I have to think about this more and plan a true panoramic shot from a tripod, with low ISO and long SS.

Diane Miller
06-21-2016, 08:19 PM
Very nice -- I like your crop and processing. A great example of ETTR, with the exposure being brought down in post to give more color and depth with less noise. A composite would have worked well here, with one focused on the near trees and one on the sun.

You could experiment will a lower color temp to bring a little more blue in the sky, but that might mess up the color in the sun.