PDA

View Full Version : Riding the waves - common loon on very windy day

Randy Stout
06-17-2016, 08:09 PM
This fine fellow was completely nonplussed by the 25 mph winds blowing one morning last week. I wish I could say the same. The wind chill was in the mid 30s, and my eyes were tearing so much that I was guessing about framing and focus most of the time. I shot the fewest number of frames for an outing that I can remember. However, as is often the case when working the edges of the weather, there can be some great visuals to be captured.

D4 600VR f/5.6 1/2500s Mounted on the floor of my little boat "LoonieToo"

Post: Leveled, toned down the background, slight crop for comp. No changes in saturation

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Michael Thompson
06-17-2016, 08:54 PM
Nice work getting a sharp shot in that rough water! Love the greens and low angle!

stuart wanuck
06-17-2016, 09:43 PM
randy great image proud of you riding out the cold!!!

Daniel Cadieux
06-18-2016, 07:31 AM
That water sure is looking rather neat. Terrific BG too. I do wish there was a bit more "life" to the eye, but other than that everything looks fine.

Randy Stout
06-18-2016, 07:38 AM
Thanks guys:

Daniel - it was so bright, that the pupil was very small. Perhaps that is what gives you the impression of it not being very lively. I will tinker with it a bit.

Cheers

Randy

Randy Stout
06-18-2016, 07:44 AM
Here is a slight tweaking of the pupil to make it a bit more distinct. Does a bit better. Thanks for the input.

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
06-18-2016, 08:19 AM
The bigger pupil makes a difference but I meant more like a glint or reflection on the eye. I used the dodge tool to tease out a bit of reflection that was already faintly there. Maybe a bit overdone, but it would be easier on a larger file to make a better job of it.

Randy Stout
06-18-2016, 08:37 AM
Thanks Daniel:

appreciate the repost. Will do a bit more work on it.

Randy

Arthur Morris
06-18-2016, 08:40 AM
Both re-posts rock as does the original. Love the perfect EXP, the dark colors, and the low in the water look. a

Lorant Voros
06-18-2016, 10:34 AM
Very nice, especially like the effect of the distant oof BG that looks like if it was a painting. Bird is perfectly positioned between foreground and back ground. I like all 3 posts as well. Thanks, Randy to share this beauty.

Marina Scarr
06-18-2016, 09:45 PM
Very nice capture. I like your RP the best. The dodged image isn't working for me. The colors are really special.