PDA

View Full Version : spines in backlit

Valerio Tarone
06-15-2016, 12:19 PM
spines..Nikon D300 zoom Sigma 70-200mm at 89mm iso200 f2,8 1/30 evaluative exposition wb :sunlight.
I know it should have been better use a faster SS,also with400 iso, but, in any way,for me,it doesn't seem bad.
Treated in ACR, surely changed the wb to a warmer t°.
Comments appreciated.

Nancy Bell
06-15-2016, 03:31 PM
I like the backlit effect of the sun on the spines, but I would like those particular spines to be sharp. That way the intent of your image of "spines in backlight" is easily understood and appreciated. The spines that are most obvious & backlit are not in focus. I also see what appears to be 2 strands of green rope that distracts from the spines. Maybe a change in position could be blocked that out.

Steve Maxson
06-15-2016, 08:22 PM
Hi Valerio. The lighting and comp are very interesting - but you need more of the image to be sharp to make this work. Nancy makes excellent comments above - with which I concur. :S3:

Valerio Tarone
06-16-2016, 01:11 PM
Nancy,Steve, thank you for the comment. I'm still studying sharpness.

Jonathan Ashton
06-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Valerio, I saw the thumbnail and thought this would be interesting - and it is. My comments are the same as those said previously (I did look at the image before the comments) it seems to be you used f2.8 and your logic was perhaps reverse, had you used a small aperture maybe the the spines in the light would have been sharp (no pun intended I should say in focus!).
Your ideas are good again I would say take a tripod it will slow you down and make you think because you will have gone to the inconvenience of carrying it. Also keep an eye on extraneous detail - see the horizontal ropes also flowers in foreground ask yourself do they add to the image and remind yourself what the title is.
Hope this helps?

Valerio Tarone
06-16-2016, 04:41 PM
Yes, Steve. I wrote before the choice of SS and aperture were not the best, I know. I use, quite always,BUT NOT ALWAYS,the tripod.This: I remember I had the tripod, after have setoff the VR. As sharpness in ACR I had gone to see new trials and I see improvements after the treatment in sharpness and reduction of noise. I was very concerned in using it:whether press or not some buttons. I use it as the Martin Evening's indications .
All my best.