PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette

Adhika Lie
06-14-2016, 11:03 AM
I am a big fan of silhouette. What is the perfect candidate for silhouette? Joshua tree. This was captured last September and I processed it last night. I have quite a backlog of files to process. 70mm, f/16, 1/6 sec, ISO640. I was experimenting with how early I can do star shots to get a naturally lit foreground and decent star exposure in the sky, and in-between those astro shots I captured this; thus the ISO.

dankearl
06-14-2016, 11:26 AM
Joshua trees do make a very nice silhouette...
Nice color, I am curious about your settings. Why F16 for this?
If you want to see stars (this looks like it was dark enough), you need to be shooting wide open.
If you want a longer exposure, why not use lower iso?

Adhika Lie
06-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Hi Dan, thanks for stopping by. I was not trying to shoot the stars with this one. I was not expecting a I was shooting stars on the other direction and looked around and saw this particular scene that appealed to me. I swap lens from my 20mm to my 35-70 and then shoot it. I knew I did not pause to change the ISO. But why f/16? I can't remember. Maybe I just wasn't thinking. LOL.

Glennie Passier
06-15-2016, 05:37 AM
Beautiful colours well seen Adhika. I'm not sure that I am fond of the very big rock on the RHS. Although it balances out the frame.

Very nice!

Adhika Lie
06-15-2016, 11:04 AM
That rock was actually the one that made the image for me, Glennie. Actually I could lose the left half of the frame and be happy with just one Joshua Tree and that rock. Maybe a bit of context of the Joshua Tree National Park would help to explain why that's the case for me. Joshua Tree NP is made of these "weird" trees and rectangular rocky formations which were formed from the cooling of magma beneath the earth crust millions of years ago. That was the inspiration of this image.

Andrew McLachlan
06-15-2016, 06:32 PM
This is very well composed Adhika...you did an excellent job of minimizing merges within this scene...very nice work!

Glennie Passier
06-15-2016, 08:11 PM
Thank you for pointing out the context of the Joshua Tree NP. I had a google look and it does look most impressive, as does your post! I am a big fan of the Yucca brevifolia.

Don Lacy
06-23-2016, 02:36 PM
Works for me a nice graphic image with all the elements well placed in the frame.

Adhika Lie
06-23-2016, 04:31 PM
Thank you so much, Andrew & Don! Really appreciate it.