PDA

View Full Version : Dicksissel

Mike Quigley
06-12-2016, 03:02 PM
1Dx, 500mm F4 V2, 2xII, 1000mm, F8, 1/800sec, hand held
This was a really windy day and the bush swaying like crazy. It was cloudy but nice soft light. I could have cloned out some stuff but wanted to hear critique first.

Glennie Passier
06-12-2016, 04:23 PM
Mike, I really like this image of a cute little bird. I can see where you may have thought about some cloning. The image looks well exposed and sharp. Then BG and colours are gorgeous. If it were mine, I would consider a slice off the top and a slither down the RHS. At the moment he seems pretty much in the centre of the frame which does not appeal to a lot of folk. I would also clone out the bottom OOF foliage on the LHS bottom. Well worth the effort I think.

Mike Quigley
06-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Mike, I really like this image of a cute little bird. I can see where you may have thought about some cloning. The image looks well exposed and sharp. Then BG and colours are gorgeous. If it were mine, I would consider a slice off the top and a slither down the RHS. At the moment he seems pretty much in the centre of the frame which does not appeal to a lot of folk. I would also clone out the bottom OOF foliage on the LHS bottom. Well worth the effort I think.

Glennie took off the bits you suggested.Nuts forgot the oof foliage mq

Adhika Lie
06-12-2016, 07:42 PM
Mike, the revision is awesome. I won't change any bit on the leaves. Probably a slight crop from the right and a sliver from the bottom but that's about it. The leaves look fine to me and that BG is just amazing with the white opening up to the bird.

Diane Miller
06-12-2016, 10:34 PM
Very pretty bird, with good cropping suggestions above. Hand holding 1000mm at 1/800 sec is very dicey. You don't mention the ISO -- maybe could have gone higher?? But that can cause issues too. Frustrating balance.

The bird looks sharp enough, though. This may be one that can profit from a very subtle Smart Sharpen of the re-sized JPEG.

Glad you fixed the glitch behind the bird -- from some sort of content-aware removal of the branch. It is not a problem to leave it.

Mike Quigley
06-13-2016, 09:39 AM
Very pretty bird, with good cropping suggestions above. Hand holding 1000mm at 1/800 sec is very dicey. You don't mention the ISO -- maybe could have gone higher?? But that can cause issues too. Frustrating balance.

The bird looks sharp enough, though. This may be one that can profit from a very subtle Smart Sharpen of the re-sized JPEG.

Glad you fixed the glitch behind the bird -- from some sort of content-aware removal of the branch. It is not a problem to leave it.

Diane the ISO was 1600, lighting was poor, i have a little trouble with high iso.

Diane Miller
06-13-2016, 10:45 PM
I haven't used the 1DX but by analogy to the 5D3 (supposedly same sensor, I think), 1600 should be fine unless you need to bring up exposure in post. That will always bring up noise. And of course a significant crop will do the same.

Mike Quigley
06-14-2016, 06:48 AM
I haven't used the 1DX but by analogy to the 5D3 (supposedly same sensor, I think), 1600 should be fine unless you need to bring up exposure in post. That will always bring up noise. And of course a significant crop will do the same.

Thanks Diane had to do both. +exp, and crop.