PDA

View Full Version : Everglades By Moonlight

Don Lacy
06-11-2016, 05:50 PM
This is an image of the Dwarf Cyprus known as the Z tree which can be found sightly off the main road heading towards Flamingo. This image was made around 3am and is completely lit by moonlight from a full moon shot with the Samyang 14mm at f/2.8 for 20s and ISO 1600. The 20s exposure and large aperture provided plenty of light to the sensor and the image is surprising noise free for a ISO 1600 image.

Don Railton
06-12-2016, 11:18 PM
I am impressed Don... especially by the IQ...and by the fact that you are creeping around in country like this at 3am in the morning testing lenses...

DON

dankearl
06-12-2016, 11:24 PM
It is a bit bright for me, I am sure you tried, but you should be able to pull this down and get a dark starry night sky.

Jerry van Dijk
06-13-2016, 08:38 AM
Colors and comp are great! I'd also like the image to convey a bit more that this is a moonlit (i.e. night) scene. I also feel that the trees are leaning backward a bit to much because of the wide-angle lens. Maybe a distortion correction could help.

Adhika Lie
06-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Wow, I am impressed Don. I like the composition but like Jerry I also think the tree are leaning backward a little too much. Moonlit scene is really some thing but heck I would think three times to do something like this in an alligator country.

Don Lacy
06-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Thanks to everyone for your comments. As far as running around in the middle of the night under the full moon is not bad at all once you get your night vision you can see pretty well now running around at 3am on a new moon is down right scary as you really feel claustrophobic and every sound seems to be amplified. To those wanting the image to be darker to bring out the night sky it is impossible the light from the full moon over powers all but the brightest stars and if you ad more light the sky becomes washed out and if you underexposed to darken the sky light from the stars are not bright enough to record. To get that image I will need to take two exposures one with the moon in the sky to light the foreground and one when the moon sets to record the sky and composite the images in PS. I am planning to try one of those images when I get a chance.

Andrew McLachlan
06-15-2016, 06:18 PM
Beautiful work Don...looks like great habitat for frogs...I need to explore there one day :)