PDA

View Full Version : Small pearl Bordered Fritillary

John Robinson
06-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Small pearl Bordered Fritillary.
Roosting on Juncus seed / flower/heads
9 of these found roosting half an hour ago.
D7100
Sigma 150mm macro. Hand held
Light from LED torch as a booster hand held along with camera(Not Easy !)
60th @f16
800 ISO
Slight crop and BG tidy up
Wanted to enhance the silver areas. Could darken a little I suppose.WDYT?
JohnR

Jonathan Ashton
06-12-2016, 03:43 AM
Lovely shot John for my taste the colours are a little saturated, I think one of your problems is that the colour gamut is compressed and you are not getting a full tonal range.
If you want to send the raw file I will see what can do

John Robinson
06-12-2016, 04:31 AM
Thanks Jon
I don't shoot raw. No idea what a compressed colour gamut is anyway.
In did say I wanted to bring out the colours- the silver especially. I can easily take it back to the normal I think allowing for the use of LED light wwhich was going to give a different effect. I will post a normal one later
JohnR

Graham Wilkes
06-12-2016, 05:39 AM
Good sharp macro, like the background and to me it shows off the pearl effect nicely.
Great eye.

Graham

John Robinson
06-12-2016, 06:45 AM
Thanks
This is a normal one without LED lighting.
Very dark conditions
20th sec @ f16
Crop from landscape.
Cheers
JohnR

Jonathan Ashton
06-12-2016, 09:28 AM
Much prefer this one - very nice well focused and detailed but the colours still don't look quite right I suspect the colour profiles are mixed up somewhere maybe Diane could help.

John Robinson
06-12-2016, 10:29 AM
Jon
SRGB They can't be anything else. Its the only possible way my workflow can handle it.
We have been through this many times with Diane and as she said other peoples monitors may still can see things differently.
The colours are fine in relation to the real thing so theres no point in making them something other than that surely. What is wrong with the colours in your opinion.? In any case as you may know there can be a great range of colours withinn the same species. They vary on the reserve here so no one can judge 100% on a forum posted picture.

JohnR

Jonathan Ashton
06-12-2016, 01:38 PM
I think we will just go round in circles John, the presented image looks OK when I look in CS6 the colours are way out if I just load it or if I assign srgb.
The presented image to me looks as if there is an overall green cast - not much, it is such a lovely image I just hoped I could get the colours right as I saw them to see if you agreed. The top and bottom of it all is it is yours and if you are happy then that's fine.