PDA

View Full Version : tulip tree blossoms

Bob Smith
06-10-2016, 03:02 PM
162850<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/836be2b4/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script> I wasn't sure I even wanted to shoot these 1/2 collapsed blossoms but had just that day been looking at some of Denise Ippolito's flower images so was inspired to give it a whirl. The camera revealed a world I hadn't seen with my eye. 5D MIII, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS @312mm, ISO1000, f/5.6, 1/800<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/836be2b4/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
SaveSave

Jonathan Ashton
06-11-2016, 06:45 AM
Bob nicely exposed and lovely colours. For me the image is too busy, I think the bloom on the RHS is good but the others are detracting. A little more DOF on the bloom would be good but the counterargument to that is that the others would become more competitive. Tricky one not sure I would have done any better other that try to find a more isolate bloom.

Nancy Bell
06-14-2016, 04:32 PM
Bob, another approach to this image would be to apply a soft, low opacity texture and then remove the texture from that one beautifully colored and detailed flower. That would allow the bkgd to be subdued but also allow some of the compositional lines and the colors to come through, depending upon your treatment. Of course that would then let you post this in the OOTB forum. If you might do something like this, you would need a bit more room to the right of that sharp bloom. The pinks are beautiful in this image.

Bob Smith
06-15-2016, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the input Jonathan and Nancy. Jonathan you've raised some issues that I can only fully address by doing the same series next year and more carefully and perhaps sooner in the blossom cycle a bit I think. I don't yet have the post skills to pursue your Rx Nancy, but I've started that process. The pinks were considerably darker in the original image but I wanted the pale, ethereal look and the gradual increase in out-of-focusness from the nearest OOF bloom through the ones as it goes deeper into the image.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/73085f7/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>