PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Arch

Don Lacy
06-09-2016, 01:01 PM
I love the constant changing shoreline of the ocean I have been going to this stretch of beach for years and only recently has this little arch become visible. I did not get much color this day so i went with a BW conversion to bring out the tonality of the clouds.

Canon 6D, 16-35 f/4 at 16 mm. Two image blend with the foreground at .03s at f/16 and the sky at 1/20s at f/16, Manual Mode, evaluative metered, ISO 400, and my usual processing and blending using luminosity mask and the BW conversion was done in PS using the BW adjustment.

Adhika Lie
06-09-2016, 01:06 PM
This is a beautiful composition, Don! I wish it were mine. I probably would like a little more toned down highlights on top of the the midground rock but it's a minor nit. If I may ask, what did you do to bring out the sun ray in the sky?

Don Lacy
06-09-2016, 01:15 PM
This is a beautiful composition, Don! I wish it were mine. I probably would like a little more toned down highlights on top of the the midground rock but it's a minor nit. If I may ask, what did you do to bring out the sun ray in the sky?
JUst a contrast adjustment using a curve layer they really appeared in the BW conversion they are hardly noticeable in color.

Adhika Lie
06-09-2016, 01:18 PM
Very cool. It's very nice how different an image can be after a B&W conversion. Thanks for sharing!

Andrew McLachlan
06-09-2016, 08:52 PM
Very beautiful Don...I love the comp and the small bridges make for interesting foreground elements...I too wish the brightest sections of the incoming waves were tones done a little bit...this looks great as a B&W and too bad you didn't get much color on this day...I can envision what it would have looked liked if you did :)

Don Railton
06-09-2016, 11:22 PM
Hi Don

Love the sky and the 3D look you have achieved there. Agree the backwash might be better toned down, along with the top of the distant rocks...

DON

dankearl
06-11-2016, 08:26 AM
I like this a lot and I amanita a big black and white fan. The clouds mirror the rocks, fun stuff...

Luis Patacao
06-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Hi Don, i like the fg with the right ss for the water and the bridge formed by the rocks. The rays in the sky also give a great effect, well done.

Jerry van Dijk
06-13-2016, 08:45 AM
Hi Don, another lovely scene of this beach. The contrasts in the sky with the sunrays are a big plus. I do feel that the FG is quite busy and competing for attention with the sky. Your horizon is sloping to the left a little, easy fix.

Grady Weed
06-30-2016, 12:30 PM
I like it just as is Don! B&W when done as yours is...well...just perfect photography here. Well done. I love the varied tones and the sun rays are the icing.