PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise at Ontario's Bruce Peninsula National Park

Andrew McLachlan
06-08-2016, 07:09 PM
I have just returned from a trip up to Ontario's Bruce Peninsula National Park. It had been 10 years since my last visit to this park, which if full of prime landscape photo opportunities. This is a sunrise scene at Halfway Log Dump - a rather ugly name for one of the best locations in the park for sunrise imagery. With a cloudless morning sky I opted for just enough sky to catch the glow of the sun below the horizon and a 3 sec exposure to smooth out the water's of Georgian Bay. A Singh Ray 3-stop reverse grad filter was used to hold back the sky.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 18mm
ISO 50
f16 @ 3 seconds
Singh Ray 3-Stop Reverse Graduated Neutral Density Filter

Looking forward to comments.

Adhika Lie
06-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Serene moment, Andrew! I really like the color on this one. If you could come back to this spot, I think a panorama would offer a very cool perspective as well! :D

Don Lacy
06-09-2016, 01:10 PM
Wonderful image Andrew nicely balanced within the composition, I really like that you left the tree line dark and did not try to pull out detail there. My one suggestion is to darken the tonal value of the rocks as presented they appear brighter then the sky,

Andrew McLachlan
06-09-2016, 08:57 PM
Thanks Adhika and Don, much appreciate the comments...this location is only 3 hours from my home so yes return visits will be made and will explore the pano idea then...good suggestion!

Don, I see what you mean about the brightness, but those rocks really are that white...I will experiment with it though :)

Don Railton
06-09-2016, 11:08 PM
Wonderful image Andrew..! Love the composition, beautiful place to be early in the mornng... I agree with the comments above, not much else to say other than well done..

Don

dankearl
06-11-2016, 08:27 AM
Sublime, Andrew, really a nice minimalist photo. I love the colors.

Jerry van Dijk
06-13-2016, 08:48 AM
What's not to like about this? I love how the curved beach line draws myeye through the image towards those lovely colors in the skye. I also like that the stones in the FG anchor the image.

Glennie Passier
06-14-2016, 03:54 AM
Everything just works here. A scene so well scene and captured. The light rocks do not bother me at all.

Beautiful!