PDA

View Full Version : Wild mustangs from above

D. Robert Franz
06-08-2016, 12:00 PM
I had a chance to do so aerial photography here in the Bighorn Basin last week. This is a seldom seen wild horse herd that lives in a remote inaccessible area of the basin. Cropped to a pano presentation.

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Copyright: D. Robert Franz
Shutter speed: 1/3200 sec
Aperture: 7.1
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +1/3
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 640
Lens: EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Focal length: 75mm

Marc Mol
06-08-2016, 03:06 PM
An interesting perspective indeed Dale, with the dust trail enhancing nicely here, was this from a plane or chopper? Overall techs look fine, allowing good use of S/S :w3

Ideally would have liked a little more head room for the leading herd members, I gather this is full width?

TFS

D. Robert Franz
06-08-2016, 03:09 PM
Shooting from a Super Cub, fighting struts, slipstream and moving plane.. Difficult for sure.. Full width.....

Morkel Erasmus
06-08-2016, 04:25 PM
A grand view of this majestic sight, Dale! Agree with Marc, a little room on the LHS wouldn't have hurt.
These make me feel like I'm in a Western movie :5

D. Robert Franz
06-08-2016, 11:26 PM
A grand view of this majestic sight, Dale! Agree with Marc, a little room on the LHS wouldn't have hurt.
These make me feel like I'm in a Western movie :5

Had no easy options to the left were more horses would have dealt with amputations...

haseeb badar
06-09-2016, 04:11 AM
Hi Dale -- Fantastic sight this is ! I just loved the scene with greenery and different coloured Wild Horses . Also the dust is an important part of this image . Very nicely done .

TFS !

Rachel Hollander
06-09-2016, 07:29 AM
Hi Dale - Great to see something so different and also such a large herd. One of the things I noticed and like is that you have clean edges so while I agree more room to the left would be good, I understand fully why it was not possible. Panoramic crop works well.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
06-09-2016, 11:50 AM
Hello Dale,

Certainly a surreal scene and I like that you abandoned the usual perspective to allow us to see something new and refreshing. Love the inexhaustible looking landscape and its wild creatures and I find the scene overall quite humbling. I am certain this will survive in your memory and perhaps stay with you throughout your entire life.

The pano crop works so well, it is a pity you have not enough on the LHS, having had some experience with aerial shots I realise things are often beyond your control. Colours are great, those beautiful horses dotted across the landscape are simply majestic. This is breathtaking - thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,

Steve Kaluski
06-10-2016, 07:54 AM
Hi Dale, nice to see something different here.

Good call on the choice of crop, but can see having more space on the LHS would have been better, however in the heat of the moment, and 'limiting' factors, it's a cool shot. Like the contrast of colours between the subject and the 'patchwork' of the habitat. The diagonal angle provides a strong comp and I like the low cloud slightly masking parts of the herd.

TFS
Steve

Andre Pretorius
06-11-2016, 07:19 AM
Hi Dale

Really like your "western" image!
Have you thought of adding some canvas to LHS?
Good DOF and I like that you include the late-comer in the top RHC- give a sense of the vastness of habitat.
Agree re dust/low cloud...:w3