PDA

View Full Version : Ribwort Plantain

John Robinson
06-08-2016, 10:28 AM
Plantain flower heads.
I know many don't go for the black background but it does bring out the fine detail in subjects like this. I had a terrible time (7 attempts) due to wobbly stamens. Turned out it was my breath !!
D7000
Sigma 50mm macro.
100 ISO
20th sec @f5
7 Stacked in CZM soft stack
Full size
Reflector away on side to the right.
No proocessing except re size for web.
JohnR

Jonathan Ashton
06-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Pretty good John the exposure looks fine. I think the sharpening is just a tad high, I am picking up a slight saw tooth edge on the fine stems.
From a compositional point of view maybe three heads would have been a better choice?

John Robinson
06-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Jon
Which"fine" stems do you mean? How big are you blowing it up ?
JohnR

Allen Sparks
06-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Hi John,
This looks well done to me. Details look good and I think the black BG works well.
Allen

Jonathan Ashton
06-08-2016, 04:24 PM
The fine white ones are they stamens? I do not blow up I see no value in that I just look as presented. Start at twenty past, (the bottom right) then going anticlockwise the third one for example.

Allen Sparks
06-08-2016, 04:36 PM
Yes I think I see what Jon is talking about now on those specific stamens. Should be worth another look as I do think I see some slight artifacts as well.

John Robinson
06-08-2016, 05:00 PM
Hi Both
Sorry
Must need specsavers- I or my wife are struggling to see what you mean. Post a blow up please.
JohnR

John I am not being evasive but no point in showing a blow up because it will invent artifact. Your screen/monitor is possibly not the same resolution as mine so you wouldn't see it. If you can't see it that's OK - it is really a minor point, I am being critical as a Moderator, I suspect a lot of people would not notice until it was actually pointed out.

Graham Wilkes
06-09-2016, 12:32 PM
The black background works well, shows off the different textures and fine detail on this pretty little plant.
Looks as though you have this technique of stacking bang on, no nits from me.

Graham

Jonathan Ashton
06-09-2016, 03:00 PM
John no point in blowing up it will only create artifact here is the image as posted with the problem indicated. It could be that your monitor is not the same resolution as mine so you just do not see it regardless of your visual acuity.