Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/30
Av(Aperture Value) 11
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -1/3
ISO Speed 500
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Focal Length 180.0mm

Boy was I cheesed off! I made a leisurely start because nothing much had been happening at my pond, I was just going out with Barney and decided to check rather dismissively and here was this newly emerged hawker. It took a while to get the camera and tripod and then to get the leaf to the camera only to remember I had just bought a plamp and that was back indoors! I was scuttling about like a someone demented! I got one quick shot without a cable release and it flew off!

Jonathan Ashton
06-08-2016, 07:35 AM
I overcame my disappointment by doing an image stack of 13 images of the exuvia, I am amazed it worked because the air was not entirely still (probably from all my previous activity:bg3:)

Warren Spreng
06-08-2016, 03:56 PM
That's a great mental picture thinking of you running around like a madman! Of course my neighbors are used to seeing that exact same behavior from me all the time! I assume at the time of this picture the little guy was starting to flap his wings enthusiastically in preparation for take off but the sharpness and colors on the fly are terrific! I like the cup like perch he is on as well. Nice catch!

Allen Sparks
06-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Hi Jon,
As Warren mentioned, details on the body look good even with the flapping wings. Including the exuvia in the image really helps to tell the story. Nicely composed with the inclusion of the full leaf.
Allen

Steve Maxson
06-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Sounds like an exciting few minutes, Jon (I can relate to that!). Excellent sharpness on the dragonfly's body and even though the wings aren't crisp, they show how shiny they are when first emerged. Inclusion of the exuvia is a plus (and the overall sharpness in your second image is very impressive). I might suggest adding a little room at the bottom if you have it - but no big deal. Very nicely done!