PDA

View Full Version : Seeking avian photo spots near Chicago

Michael Rosenbaum
06-11-2008, 06:22 PM
I'll be driving north from Florida, staying in the Chicago area for about 10 days, then driving back. Any suggestions for good wild bird photography would be appreciated. The only site I know to stop at is Muscatatuck NWR in so. Indiana.

Yannis Arvanitis
06-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Hi Michael. Since no one has responded yet...while I live in the Chicago area, I have only recently developed the interest to do birding and photography here, so I can only share what I have run across in my own research. A decent guide to birding sites in Chicago is available for free on the web. If you go to the Bird Conservation Network site they have a link to it from their Chicago Region Birding Trail page. URL is: www.bcnbirds.org/birdtrail/index.html (http://www.bcnbirds.org/birdtrail/index.html) and the link to the PDF is about 1/2 down the page.

I have tried a couple of forest preserves and even the "magic hedge" at Montrose, but have had spotty results at best (but I've only tried a couple of times thus far). Fullerburg Woods is nearest to me and I have been there the most - some mallards and geese, some great blue herons and night herons, and the regular locals (sparrows and cardinals).

Lots of pigeons and gulls in the city if you're interested :-)

When is your trip to the windy city?

Hope that helps.
Yannis.

Sid Overbey
06-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Michael, where in the Chicago area will you be staying? There are a number of spots that are pretty good, but may not be close to you. The trail guide that Yannis mentioned is very good.

Have a good trip.

Michael Rosenbaum
06-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks, Yannis and Sid; your responses are much appreciated. I arrived in Evanston earlier this week. I've had some luck at the Botanical Gardens on Lake-Cook Rd. (hummingbirds, cardinals, finches). Went to Baker's Lake and that was cool with white pelicans, cormorants, and bc night herons, but the distance was too great to shoot. I may do the Jackson Park walk Sat. a.m. if the weather is decent. And as you say, the Birding Guide is quite helpful.