PDA

View Full Version : Twin Brothers

Luis Patacao
06-06-2016, 10:24 AM

One of my favorite landscapes in Portugal is Serra da Estrela. The transformation that it stands along the 4 seasons is beautiful.
A few weeks ago i went there, wit still lots of water coming down the mountains because of the melting snow, it looked like spring will arrive too late for the party.

What are your thoughts on this?

Techs:
NIKON D7000 10mm/ƒ/8/1/5s/ISO 100

Adhika Lie
06-06-2016, 12:31 PM
The composition works for me on this one but the color is a little overly saturated for me, especially the green. The tonality also looks very flat; almost tone-mapped like.

Don Railton
06-07-2016, 11:19 PM
Hi luis

I too think the green a little too saturated, and there is a green cast in the water. I also think you have lightened the water to lead the eye (no problems..) but its not consistent as the stream comming in from the left is a lot darker than the main flow. I think these tricks with the light need to be a lot more subtle than this... I do like the composition..

DON

Luis Patacao
06-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Thanks Adhika and Don. This was the first time i`ve tried to play a little in photoshop out of my standard processing flow and it didn`t worked.. I will repost the new version today.

Thanks for your honest feedback.

Luis Patacao
06-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Here is the repost:

Andrew McLachlan
06-08-2016, 06:59 PM
Hi Luis, the repost is a huge improvement...the water on the left could still be toned down just a little bit further...looking forward to more :)

Don Lacy
06-09-2016, 01:43 PM
Hi Loius, I really like the composition with the leading lines and the light is wonderful. I do find the overall image to be flat with not enough tonal separation so I hope you don't mind but I played with this in PS to better illustrate how I would have processed it. I brighten the lighter tone and darken the darker tones using luminosity mask I then used some dodging and burning to emphasize the light upon the landscape and darken the clouds. To finish off the image I added a very slight Orton effect which the image really didn't need but I like it and thought I would show you another option you could have went with.

Don Railton
06-09-2016, 11:13 PM
Well done Don...

Luis Patacao
06-12-2016, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Don. I used luminosity masks but not in this way and i was pleased with the extra "pump" you have given to the image :)
I just don`t know what is the Orton effect and got curious about it.

Thanks once more!

Don Lacy
06-12-2016, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Don. I used luminosity masks but not in this way and i was pleased with the extra "pump" you have given to the image :)
I just don`t know what is the Orton effect and got curious about it.

Thanks once more!
Here is a quick tutorial on it if you have any questions PM me and I will try to answer them http://www.dpreview.com/techniques/4455063977/how-to-effectively-use-orton-layers-in-post-processing

Luis Patacao
06-13-2016, 04:02 PM
Here is a quick tutorial on it if you have any questions PM me and I will try to answer them http://www.dpreview.com/techniques/4455063977/how-to-effectively-use-orton-layers-in-post-processing

Thanks a lot for the link and help Don, i will look into it!

Luis Patacao
06-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Many thanks to everyone on this feedback and a special thanks to Don Lacy for introducing me to the Orton effect (loved it).

Here is the final version:

Morkel Erasmus
08-01-2016, 05:12 AM
you really did well with this final repost, I like it Luis!
I think the hills could use a further tonal contrast boost in the midtones?