PDA

View Full Version : Bunchberry after rain

Steve Foss
01-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Ubiquitous in the northern boreal forests, the bunchberry sits low to the ground and gathers water in the corners of its blossoms and tips of the leaves after rain or heavy dew. As many times as I've photographed this, one of my favorite wildflowers, I can't seem to stop photographing them.

Canon 30D, Canon 100 macro, iso100, 1/6 at f18, tripod, remote release

D. Robert Franz
01-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Steve this is quite beautiful.. One small nit is the lower left bloom is just a bit tight to the edge of the frame..

Chris Starbuck
01-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Beautiful delicate pastel colors in the flowers! I like the way the group of blooms nearly fills the frame -- it gives the impression that this is just a small portion of a larger field of flowers. And getting a water droplet at the tip of nearly every petal is incredible! I wonder if cropping down from the top just a little, to minimize the empty space at the upper left, might strengthen the image a bit.

Chris

Steve Foss
01-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks to both of you. This is a little bit of a crop. The original had a bit more room to the bottom and left, so when a day has passed I'll repost with a looser crop on bottom, as mentioned, and will restore a couple parts of leaves in the upper left corner, which I'd cloned out.

Chris, this actually was a small portion of a large carpet. Unfortunately, it was the only clean portion. Otherwise, it would have been cool to shoot this at 17mm and get a different effect with a lot more blooms in the frame. I'm not above using a spray bottle now and then for dew effects, but this was captured just after my photo excursion clients and I had hopped out of the vehicle after sheltering from a June shower.

I would have liked to spend more time with the blooms, but the clients, while having some interest in wildflowers, were getting restless.

Chris Davidson
01-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Real nice, Steve!
Don't think I'd change a thing here, I love it as posted!
The flower placement and overall comp. works well IMO!

Robert Amoruso
01-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Very beautiful image. Excellent composition and so delicate looking. My nit is the tip and edge of leafs on the right middle and lowere edge intruding into the image.

Steve Foss
01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Here's the re-post.

Fabs Forns
01-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Expertly composed and very attractive :)
Repost looks perfect.