PDA

View Full Version : Theme Toad-ally awesome lunch!

Michael Thompson
06-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Young Great Egrets enjoying some freshly regurgitated leopard frogs, yum... At Fergus falls Minnesota. Not the best image quality, as the island was a bit far out to capture the detail I would have liked, but still an interesting behavior shot I figured some here would enjoy. Canon 7Dll, canon 100-400ll, Canon 1.4xlll, 1/800ss, 560 mm, f/8, 1000iso ~ MT

dankearl
06-05-2016, 02:56 PM
Mom could be sharpened a tad more, the chicks look great...

Gabriela Plesea
06-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Indeed interesting Michael and I love the behaviour aspect here, but especially the hairdo - or rather featherdo - of the little chaps! Mom looks pleased with herself for providing such a wholesome meal and looks on as the young "dudes" consume the poor, desperate looking - leopard frogs.

You framed this really well and the mottled BG works for me, so does the FG with all those nicely piled-up branches. There's a little white line along Mom's left leg worth investigating, and I would try sharpen her bill a tad more. IQ not great but I understand this was difficult to capture, given the distance.

Very happy to see another interesting behavioural frame from you. Nice detail on the youngsters' feathers, those frogs trying to escape and the desperate hungry chicks make this image for me:w3

Kind regards,

Matthew Jones
06-10-2016, 03:38 AM
This is a really engaging image Michael, looks like the toads don't last long. I would maybe trade some space at bottom for top and agree about sharpening the adult a tad. Very well done.