PDA

View Full Version : Swift Long Winged Skimmer

Warren Spreng
06-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Caught this one during my hike through the Cincinnati Nature Center, great place to look for interesting things to image!

Canon 7D Mark II, Tamron 150 - 600mm, 600mm, 1/500, f/13, ISO 400, late afternoon, HH, AF. Cropped slightly to get rid of some OOF leaves and did NR on background, all in PS CC.

Ron Conlon
06-04-2016, 04:31 PM
The steel gray background is a nice change--what is it? I find the perch a little big and bright.

Nancy Bell
06-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Agree with Ron about the perch being somewhat big and bright. Very nice details in the wing venation. My preference is to look at the face of critters but the colors seen in this position make it interesting.

Warren Spreng
06-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Thanks Ron and Nancy! The background color is from the pond which was in shadows, I guess it was the lighting that caused the color. The leaves were from Day Lilies, I was hoping for it to land on one of the nearby reeds but he seemed to like these leaves best!

Jonathan Ashton
06-07-2016, 04:49 AM
Warren I can imagine the scene perfectly and I bet you were constantly twitching to try to get the optimal angle and then I bet the dragon few off came back and was then just in a slightly different position. The angle is almost perfect the DOF is good, the tail is just a little soft. I attach a version with the highlights on the reed and the dragonfly reduced a little WDYT?

Diane Miller
06-07-2016, 06:11 PM
Lovely find with a great and different BG color. I like Jon's work on the leaf. DOF on these guys is a challenge.

Warren Spreng
06-07-2016, 09:22 PM
Warren I can imagine the scene perfectly and I bet you were constantly twitching to try to get the optimal angle and then I bet the dragon few off came back and was then just in a slightly different position. The angle is almost perfect the DOF is good, the tail is just a little soft. I attach a version with the highlights on the reed and the dragonfly reduced a little WDYT?

You must have been there! That looks great Jon! The tail was a bit soft, the tip is actually from another frame where most of the fly was OOF, but the tail was a little sharper.

Warren Spreng
06-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Lovely find with a great and different BG color. I like Jon's work on the leaf. DOF on these guys is a challenge.

Thanks Diane! I'd really like to get a shot with one of them facing me sometime! I guess that's tough because then they see you coming and fly away!