PDA

View Full Version : Large white (Pieris brassicae)

Jonathan Ashton
06-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Camera Model Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/200
Av(Aperture Value) 11
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 250 -1/3EV
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Flash Type External Flash : E-TTL flash metering
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering -1.3EV

There's not very much about at all so here is another large white taken in a similar location, once again the butterfly has been stained by pollen from the buttercups.

Adhika Lie
06-02-2016, 11:48 AM
I am really liking this combination, Jon. The size of the buttercup is just perfect with the butterfly (Funny, butterfly - buttercup... sorry.). I really like how the flower is 90 degrees away from our viewing. To me, that gives some kind of depth to the image; you have the length and width from the butterfly and depth from the flower. I would be tempted to remove the OOF stem right behind the flower (the one that has more structure to it) or even trying to blur it even more; but that's to your taste. Very nice image, Jon!

Anita Bower
06-04-2016, 06:16 AM
Agree with Adhika. I like how the yellow of the flower is picked up in the butterfly wing. Your 180 lens does a great job of capturing details while blurring the bg.

Warren Spreng
06-04-2016, 12:09 PM
I like this one Jon, the background looks like a watercolor painting! Great lighting.

Ron Conlon
06-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Agree with the preceding comments and will add that I like the structure/stripes in the background.

Nancy Bell
06-04-2016, 06:49 PM
I really like the curved stem and the vertical position of the flower. Your eye is directed right to the butterfly, perched perfectly! With the vertical position of the flower the yellow does not dominate the image, plus it is a great platform to show off the butterfly.

Jonathan Ashton
06-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the kind comments everyone, much appreciated.