PDA

View Full Version : Northern Cardinal

supreet.sahoo
05-30-2016, 08:10 PM
- A regular bird but has always been challenging to make good pics of this lil guy. Got it atlast in soft late evening light.
f4, 1/2500, 800, -0.7, 300mm

https://www.facebook.com/supreet.sahoo
https://www.flickr.com/photos/supreetsahoo/albums

dankearl
05-30-2016, 08:50 PM
Pretty much off the charts...
Congrats on an excellent image!

Marina Scarr
05-30-2016, 10:12 PM
This is one heck of a special image. The soft light and that wing position really add a lot here, as does those little talons and the unique perch.

Tim Foltz
05-31-2016, 12:18 AM
Very nice shot and fine detail, a little bit of color banding in the BG but sometimes that can be next to impossible to get rid of.

-Tim

Sharon Hallowell
05-31-2016, 06:45 AM
Sweet image! We don't often see cardinals on cactus, and this perch is just fabulous! Wish this were mine! Sharon

keith mitchell
05-31-2016, 07:09 AM
Totally agree with the above ,it's the composition you have here that makes it for me,bird,Bg,and that so different perch makes for an excellent shot.

Keith.

Mike Poole
05-31-2016, 10:23 AM
Beautifully lit image with a great pose. Top marks for this one.

Mike

Isaac Grant
05-31-2016, 11:37 AM
A very nice and unique image for me. Image quality is great and the bird with raised wing on the cactus adds so much interest. Two things detract from this image for me and I guess I may be in the minority on this.

I wish that back wing was raised as well as the position it is in now is a bit distracting to me. Kind of feels like the bird only has one wing.

Also, why is the bird so lit up but the cactus so dark? Was the shadow/sun line right there? If so, I feel like we should see that. Kind of feels a bit unnatural to me. Bird looks like it is in full sun but the background and cactus do not appear that way at all.

Bill Dix
05-31-2016, 04:31 PM
Light, pose, perch and color. This has it all. A fine image in my book. I love the way the late evening light is catching the bird.

supreet.sahoo
06-01-2016, 09:39 AM
A very nice and unique image for me. Image quality is great and the bird with raised wing on the cactus adds so much interest. Two things detract from this image for me and I guess I may be in the minority on this.

I wish that back wing was raised as well as the position it is in now is a bit distracting to me. Kind of feels like the bird only has one wing.

Also, why is the bird so lit up but the cactus so dark? Was the shadow/sun line right there? If so, I feel like we should see that. Kind of feels a bit unnatural to me. Bird looks like it is in full sun but the background and cactus do not appear that way at all.

Hey Issac,

Its the setting sun and the timing that was not in my control. My hide was acting as a strong block for the light to stay within a certain point. Below is another image taken just 5 mins before the one i posted. Nothing was changed in PP or i would have called it out.