PDA

View Full Version : Cockchaffer

Jonathan Ashton
05-29-2016, 06:15 AM
Tripod Canon 5D MkII ISO 200 1/30 sec f11, this is a female and if my guess is right it is about 24hr old max maybe less. I found a larva and put it in a plant pot in which I was growing sumac, I found the beetle on the sumac the following day, after transferring it to this waterside reed I photographed it and placed it amongst the flowers and grasses.
All C&C welcome.

Dave Johnson
05-30-2016, 08:42 AM
Excellent light, bkg, detail and clarity. A touch more dof to get the rear antenna in focus would have been nice, but no big deal. My only nit is the white filaments either side of the stem below the beetle. Good effort, TFS.

Nancy Bell
05-31-2016, 05:43 PM
This is well done! I really like the fine hairy details and the red coloring. Nice simple diagonal perch but with some added interest with the insect perched right on the symmetrical buds.

Jonathan Ashton
06-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Thanks Nancy and David. David this is one of my querks, I quite deliberately left the filaments there, I regard it as a little authenticity (even if I did place the beetle on the stem!!) there are also a couple on the tail end of the beetle, they are naturally occurring components to me and I think sometimes images are made "too clean", nature seldom presents itself in a thoroughly clean spic and span manner.

Warren Spreng
06-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Fascinating insect! I really like the composition. Colors and details are really nice.

Joseph Przybyla
06-07-2016, 08:12 AM
Interesting insect, interesting perch, perfect background. An example of perfection, how it should be done. Thank you for sharing, Jon.