PDA

View Full Version : First Flight Sort Of

Loi Nguyen
05-25-2016, 02:27 PM
Burrowing Owl chick trying its wings. They can really just hop around, not quite sustained flight yet.

1DX II
400f4 DO II
1/4000
f9
ISO-2000
HH

Thank you for commenting my previous image.

Hope you like this one.

Loi

David Salem
05-25-2016, 02:59 PM
This one is really nice Loi. Great to see the pin feathers as this guys primaries are filling in and look at that little tail poping out. Lots of great colors and details in this and I like the comp too. Well done

David Cowling
05-25-2016, 03:21 PM
I love the look of concentration on this little birds face. I like the composition and background. It must have been fun watching this. TFS.

Eric Dienesch
05-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Great Pic, i love it.

when i saw this chick, my question is now the time for the burrowing chicks (also in cape corral)?

arash_hazeghi
05-25-2016, 03:33 PM
nice juvenile, he looks cute! I wish you had better eye contact from the owl or at least no shadow in the eye

TFS

Bill Dix
05-25-2016, 04:44 PM
David took the words out of my mouth -- what concentration! Terrific capture, with great POV.

William Dickson
05-25-2016, 05:03 PM
I can really absorb the concentration from the facial expression. Amazing detail on the bird and I love the detail and sharpness. Cool BG as well.

TFS

Will

Mike Poole
05-25-2016, 05:57 PM
I really like this one Loi, the concentration on the youngsters face is great, snd you can really see how those wings are developing.

Hope to see some more of these as they improve their skills

Mike

Robert Kattanek
05-25-2016, 06:27 PM
That look on its face is just fitting, and I just love all the detail in this shot. :)

The background is also really nice, and with the ground below the bird, you very much get a sense of the hopping around you mention. Must have been a lovely scene to witness, thank you for sharing!

Regards,

Robert

Jonathan Ashton
05-26-2016, 02:55 AM
Super shot fascinating and captivating, great pose and a lovely colour palette.

shane shacaluga
05-26-2016, 06:20 AM
hahaha it doesnt look too pleased with the attempt!

Good action shot with plenty of details. The FG and BG give this a nice sense of place

Does the tail still have to grow or do burrowing owls have very short tail feathers?

Stu Bowie
05-26-2016, 07:12 AM
Hi Loi, great wing display from the attempted flight, and I do like the overall feather detail - nice and sharp.

Loi Nguyen
05-26-2016, 07:43 AM
Thank you everyone for your comments. It was great fun watching these chicks trying to take flight. Thank you David for pointing out the "pin" feathers. Didn't know that what they are called.

Eric, yes now is the time for burrowing owl. Good until July-August. I was at Cape Coral early in April and it was pretty dead.

Arash, I thought about eye contact before posting this image, but I like the concentration of the chick on the forward direction. The shadow in the eye was unfortunate.

Shane, BOs don't have long tail, but the tail feathers will grow out more for sure.

Lorant Voros
05-26-2016, 08:49 PM
Beautiful young bird and nice fight intent wing movement. I also like the composition here. Well done.