PDA

View Full Version : Bandon Lighthouse

Terry Johnson
05-24-2016, 04:33 PM
162381 This images of the Bandon Lighthouse was taken a couple of weeks ago. I used several filters to bring out the detail. I have some residual effects at the junction of the sky and the horizon.

Nikon D810
Nikon 24-70 @ 24
Shutter 1/90
F-stop F-11
ISO 64
Handheld

Your comments please...Terry Johnson:S3:

Don Railton
05-24-2016, 11:22 PM
Hi Terry

Lovely old light house with lots of character. Well worth a visit... Do like the sky. The improvements i think you could make is to change the lighting angle (if it is possible) so the light come in from behind you more. Currently the focal point of the image is largely in shadow which is less than optimum IMHO. I also see the halos... There is also a slight magenta cast which is easily corrected. I also think the Light house is a bit large in the frame and i would like a little more of the surrounding for context...

DON

Dennis Bishop
05-25-2016, 07:19 AM
I could see boosting the whites just a bit with Levels (or maybe not depending on your vision), but I really like what you've done. Great color combination and depth.

You probably did some masking to apply at least one of the filters to a specific part of the image, and that is likely the source of the halos along the roof and the horizon. A couple days ago, I came across the best masking tutorial I've ever seen, and it addresses how to fix that. http://photomorphis.com/blog/2016/5/17/slim-pickins-tutorial-part-1/

Diane Miller
05-25-2016, 07:26 PM
The building is interesting and the sky is great but the tonalities in the building and land are very flat. Was the sky added? Or did you select the building and land and apply a lot of shadow/highlight adjustment. The masking does need work.

If you could get the lighthouse with different lighting (even after sunset might work) and boost the contrast appropriately, you might have a really interesting image.

Also there is no embedded profile although it does appear you converted to sRGB. Check my tutorials in Educational Resources on posting to the web. With no profile, some monitor and browser combinations will give colors that are way off. You should always embed the profile for a web post.

Dennis, thanks for the link -- that is a great tutorial, with so much in one package! I need to check out the rest of his site.

Adhika Lie
05-26-2016, 03:34 PM
All of the above. But I do like the subject here. I think if you can come back and shoot this again with Don's suggestion, you will have a keeper. For me the issue with this image is the lack of contrast (perhaps from lifting up to much shadows) on the shaded side of the lighthouse. It also looks like it suffers from a large crop. Beautiful sky and beautiful color though!

Don Lacy
05-28-2016, 11:19 AM
Hi Terry, I like the view and composition but as the others have pointed out there are a lot of processing issues would love to see what your starting point was with the raw capture. What I am seeing is the muddied look from lifting shadows in post if you don't mind I would like to work on the Raw file if interested PM me and I will give you my email address.

Andrew McLachlan
06-08-2016, 03:36 PM
Hi Terry, a great lighthouse worth visiting again...I too would like to see more contrast in this scene and compositionally I would prefer if the large squared structure on the left were omitted from the scene as I feel it is dragging my eye away from the lighthouse.