PDA

View Full Version : Stained glass as spider

Nancy Bell
05-22-2016, 04:51 PM
I have not had anything to post here for far too long. This is a small spider with an abdomen that appears like a stained glass window section. I enjoy discovering what is lurking around my house and found this Venusta Orchard Orbweaver living on my front porch. According to web information, these spiders spin nearly horizontal webs, the female hangs underneath the center, bottom side up, and they do not like sunlight. I photographed this after sunset since during the day the bkgd is brightly lit.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 100 f2.8 macro, tripod, 2-sec delay, ISO 2000, f8, 1/3 sec.

Diane Miller
05-22-2016, 10:35 PM
Wondeful find -- I've never seen anything like this spider. The shallow DOF on the web is a really nice touch, setting off the sharpness and detail of the subject.

If it was still and you were on a tripod, a focus stack on the legs might have been interesting to try, but no points subtracted for it as is!

John Robinson
05-23-2016, 04:54 AM
What a great shot- unusual angle for a spider pic too. Cracking backdrop too- just my type.
Well done Nancy
John

Anita Bower
05-23-2016, 06:12 AM
I like the shallow dof, the composition, the colors of the spider, the white of the web against the lovely green bg. Well done.

Jonathan Ashton
05-23-2016, 12:37 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous, love the colours and the composition, nicely detailed and sharp - well done.

Nancy Bell
05-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Thank you so much, everyone! I just checked and the spider has moved on and the web is in wind-blown shambles.

Allen Sparks
05-23-2016, 04:16 PM
Hi Nancy,
Nice catch - love the colors on the spider and the DOF focuses our attention nicely.
Allen