PDA

View Full Version : Balance

Niels Hag
05-20-2016, 04:36 PM

Hi everyone,

after receiving great tips on my first upload, here is my second attempt and working with the lower light angel is a plus to the detail visible (thanks again).

EOS 5D, SS 1/2000, F11, ISO 800, 510mm (old 100-400 +1.4 TC) fill flash used

Thanks in advance for the critique.
Regards,
Niels

Arthur Morris
05-20-2016, 07:28 PM
Beautiful bird well processed. If you had turned your camera to vertical you would have had a winner, winner, chicken dinner...

What species? Photographed where?

Niels Hag
05-21-2016, 01:40 AM
Thank you Artie,

the location is Al Qudra lakes here in Dubai (man made lakes where they introduced many different birds and they have started to repopulate). The species I do not know, sorry.

Cheers,
Niels

Glennie Passier
05-21-2016, 02:33 AM
Beautiful bird, looks like he has been gilded. I like the ripples but wish there was a little more room all around, particularly on the bottom.

Niels Hag
05-21-2016, 03:17 AM
Thank you Glennie,

yes the chopped foot underwater disturbed me also, unfortunately I don't have any footage left underneath to add more, however I have another image that has hardly got a crop (only to move the subject out of the center). I guess this image would have been the better choice so that I will get a chicken dinner.
cheers
Niels

christopher galeski
05-21-2016, 05:09 AM
This is a better image,nice head angle and you can see all of the webbed foot under the water,the white on the birds cheek looks hot on my screen,meaning not showing detail,lighting a bit harsh,and I would add a bit more room on the right of the frame,hope this helps you,keep taking photos.good luck.

Arthur Morris
05-21-2016, 08:38 AM
Yes to the chicken dinner repost in Pane #5. I think that the duck is some type of white-cheeked pintail. Next time try getting right down on the ground.... a

Isaac Grant
05-21-2016, 06:45 PM
White-cheeked Pintail for sure. Not a bird that is native to the Emirates as far as I know. It is widely kept in private aviaries around the world.

I like the details of the bird and the exposure seems perfect. To me the original post is cropped way too tightly to the point of cutting off the ducks foot that is in the water. I totally agree that you should have turned the camera vertically and gotten lower. Repost is better for sure but I would still prefer the bird had more room around it.

Niels Hag
05-24-2016, 06:02 AM
Hi,
the place I always go to to take pictures is a man made area of lakes and numerous of different species have been introduced to this area around 2 years ago and are now starting to breed there. The place is called Al Qudra lakes here in Dubai.
thanks for the comments and the identification
Niels