PDA

View Full Version : Theme.Grooming Hare.

keith mitchell
05-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Nikon D4
Nikon300mm 2.8
1/800@f4
iso 1250.

taken a while ago would certainly get a higher ss now.Like the way the Hare can pull it,s back legs through to bite it's feet.

Thanks for taking a look.

Jonathan Ashton
05-19-2016, 10:50 AM
Interesting and intimate shot Keith. I haven' seen one quite like this colour before, details are very good.

keith mitchell
05-19-2016, 02:01 PM
Jon an interesting point ,it's about right for though I must admit to making sure I do not have any blues,cyan,in the image which may have affected the colour of the Hare a tad.
Thanks Keith.

Jonathan Ashton
05-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Jon an interesting point ,it's about right for though I must admit to making sure I do not have any blues,cyan,in the image which may have affected the colour of the Hare a tad.
Thanks Keith.
Yes I think it is fairly accurate - must admit I did have a little tinker!

keith mitchell
05-19-2016, 03:27 PM
Thanks Jon will be interested to see what others think.

Rachel Hollander
05-20-2016, 07:38 AM
Hi Keith - Before reading any of the comments I too questioned the color as it seems to be very red. Cute pose and I like the eyes. Details look good and low pov works. Sharpness looks good too even with perhaps a slower ss than you would aim for now. In an ideal world the head would be angled a bit more towards you or parallel to the sensor. Here it is very slightly away from you. Keep them coming.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
05-20-2016, 11:15 AM
Hi Keith, you've lost me on this one re colour, I can't even adjust much at all to even get close sadly. You did not adjust any colours in the Camera Calibration vis PS did you in error??

Would echo Rachel's comments above.

I would post the image capture straight from the camera Keith, then lets see.

Cheers
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
05-20-2016, 12:01 PM
Keith I can only agree with the previous comments on colour and head angle.
The clarity is there, though I do feel you can tease more details from this. I like the behaviour captured.

Stuart Philpott
05-20-2016, 02:40 PM
Keith ,here you have grabbed a shot I have messed up over and over. A hare grooming is a desparate want for me now and in many ways I feel you have it here.It's not quite the pose I'm questing for in that grooming but it's still superbly lovely: i'm too mesmerized by just where those big ol' powerful back legs can go:S3: I accept the HA isn't ideal but Keith that colour thing mentioned by the guys rings true here,I can't actually pinpoint what is wrong Keith,could it be a lack of yellow? I guess I'm thinking in paint not light please forgive buddy. Keith I so wish I could achieve this level of sharpness,clarity/detail you have here,the eye is fabulous,but sadly I feel that what ever has been going on with your colour issues has reappeared.

Ahh bro I so hope the wisdom here can get you through this,you post these cracking images of a mystical animal I adore and am chasing hard at the moment( I feel like I have a once in a lifetime chance slipping through my fingers through lack of time and expertise). If I could get your level of detail into what i'm working towards i'd be completely over the moon,your hare shots really drive me Keith!! I am utterly on an uncalibrated monitor Keith so must declare that,but for me the colour is not what I see in the fellows bringing so much joy to me at this time

All the luck in the world Keith thanks for sharing another of your images of them,they always make me want to try harder.

take care

Stu

keith mitchell
05-20-2016, 03:25 PM
Thanks Rachel,Steve,Morkel,and Stu.Will do a repost in the morning and try to explain what I have done,Steve don't pull your hair out it big tufts.:e3

Keith.

keith mitchell
05-21-2016, 07:36 AM
Will try to explain my thinking with my Hare posts.On the Op i reduced the magenta,blue,and cyan which made it look ok regarding the bg and ground around the Hare but then looking at it did think it made the Hare look a tad dull so I did add a little red that I must admit did look ok to my eyes but must agree with the majority that the red is to much.This repost as just had the mag,blue, and cyan removed I hope ,and a little nr on the bg.Still think the hare need a bit of a lift with the colour or maybe I might be making life a little difficult for myself, having so much to do with Hares over the years trying to recreate nature and getting all the colours as I see them, even knowing that we get all sorts of different shades of colour depending on the type of land that they live on,ie those on sandy land can be a lot lighter than those that live on heavy clay land.

Thanks for all your views on this Keith.

Steve Kaluski
05-21-2016, 08:30 AM
Keith, to me there is very little change between the two. If you can post the Original with NO adjustments, i.e. straight from camera, then I think/know we can provide better feedback in direction for colour, if applicable.

keith mitchell
05-21-2016, 10:35 AM
Steve I will do that but please tell me can you see red in this?

Steve Kaluski
05-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Keith what I see is not correct, yes it terms of a 'form' of Red, but also Greys in place of other colour too.

If you can remember, email the steps you took from the original to the OP. In that way it may highlight something, but please upload the file or send it to me. I'm packing at present so hence the urgency.

keith mitchell
05-21-2016, 10:57 AM
This is untouched apart from re size nothing else.

Thanks Steve.

Steve Kaluski
05-21-2016, 11:31 AM
That looks far better, will take it into LR.

Right here you go, less than 10 minutes and I think it looks more in keeping??? Keith you had it all there, it was just a quick fix.

haseeb badar
05-22-2016, 04:40 AM
Hi Keith -- i liked the details that you have managed to pull out , but i can't comment on the colour as i am away and do not have a proper monitor. Steve's RP appears to me that it has sorted out the things though . But a nice image overall . TFS !

Gabriela Plesea
05-22-2016, 06:30 AM
Dear Keith,

You just got to teach this fella to face you when he's grooming:bg3: To get the colours right, try holding the hare by the ears next to the screen? Just kidding dear Keith, we just did a shoot for a business that sells African woven baskets, colours were superb after PP work but when compared with the items to be advertised we realised we enhanced too much, had to reprocess!

Steve's RP sorts out the issues and I must say I prefer the less cropped version with a bit more environment around the Hare. Thank you Keith, enjoyed viewing, keep posting please:w3

Warmest regards,

Andre Pretorius
05-22-2016, 06:35 AM
Hi Keith

My first thought on opening this (have just been to Mark's cub) was; what did he kill?:t3
Steve's RP sorted the colour out.
What Profile in camera are you shooting? Make sure you select the same Profile in LR as the first step in PP.

Steve Kaluski
05-22-2016, 07:06 AM
colours were superb after PP work but when compared with the items to be advertised we realised we enhanced too much, had to reprocess!

This is why Gabriela you need to process for each usage, 'fit for purpose', you would never ever supply an sRGB image to a Print house/publication, although some folk say they do, big mistake. This 'creative business' is never straight forward and certain colours that look great on screen are a nightmare to try and replicate in print, often going muddy. You need to Soft proof in LR if you want output files.

Gabriela Plesea
05-22-2016, 11:19 AM
Indeed Steve:) We provided Tiff for printing as well as Jpg for web. Just realised the colours of the products themselves were not as vibrant as we made them to be. Had to sit with those hand woven baskets on the desks and compare:) It was an interesting exercise!

Sorry Keith for hijacking your thread, my apologies.

A good evening, everyone:wave:

Stu Bowie
05-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Hi Keith, good low perspective, and I like the cleaning/preening pose with the swept back ears. The colour certainly got sorted with Steve's repost. :w3

keith mitchell
05-25-2016, 09:40 AM
Thanks to you all for looking and your comments and tips.Think I might have a major problem regarding colour and think I will have a real look and see if my monitor is right and maybe a trip to the opticians ,it,s a bit frustrating having the colours being wrong.I cannot really blame processing because some have had very little done to them, and think maybe it is how I see things and how i think they should look. Even Steve's post which everyone thinks solves the problem looks a little green to me so like I say have a problem with something.
Thank you for pointing it out i do appreciate your critique and hope I can get it right.
Andre I have LR which I do not use just CS5.
Keith.

Stuart Philpott
05-25-2016, 12:15 PM
Hi Keith,first up i'd just like to wish you well with what might happen next,I so hope you can get to the bottom of this. It must be terribly frustrating I really feel for ya buddy,all the luck mate!! For me aswell Steve's repost is much closer to what I see,I was so hoping it wasn't/isn't your vision and was really thrilled for you when I saw what Steve had done last night (it's such an inspiring image especially at this moment in time where i'm personally spending more time chasing hares than anything) .Maybe it's a monitor thing you did mention a new one recently if my memory serves,which ever way,I really do hope that you can get to the bottom of all this,SOON !!

Keith,back a bit you mused how our hares in blighty might be slightly differing in colour,maybe down to what soil they are found on. I think you might have something Keith ,it's a great observation I won't go much further I don't want to derail much but you have had me staring much of late, i'm also trying to pin down some individuals here by markings which i'm finding very hard.
Anyway buddy I just wanted to wish you luck really,hope things go well for you

take care

Stu