View Full Version : Field of Gold

Norm Dulak
06-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Nikon D200
Lens: Sigma 300-800 mm f/5.6 super zoom @ 800 mm
ISO: 320
Shutter Speed: 1/320 s
Aperture: f/11

Any comments or suggestions you may have about this image will be greatly appreciated.

Doug Brown
06-11-2008, 07:25 AM
This image reminds me of a Van Gogh painting! Much to like here! You got a good catchlight in the eye, but the bird is OOF for the most part. I'd like to see more detail in the blacks too. The side lighting makes the flower look good, but doesn't help the bird. Overall, a cool photo! Thanks for posting!

Axel Hildebrandt
06-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Great idea for composition. I like the overall mood and pose. I wish the sun would have been behind you, fill flash would have helped here. The finch looks a bit soft on my monitor. You could also blur the BG a bit more. Keep them coming!

Norm Dulak
06-11-2008, 08:10 AM
My apologies to Doug and Alex, but the image I posted originally was not sharpened at all. I hope that the bit of smart sharpening I've applied to the image now will do the trick.

Norm

Axel Hildebrandt
06-11-2008, 08:20 AM
There are some jpg artifacts in the repost that were not as visible in the original post. If the original is RAW it would be worth going back to the drawing board. :)

Norm Dulak
06-11-2008, 08:25 AM
One further comment for Doug and Alex. I too wish that the light had been more favorable when I captured this image. But in retrospect, I am still happy to have this image of an uncommonly beautiful common bird, because the farmer who routinely planted sunflowers in years past has now planted only corn. The goldfinches will have to find another place to dine.

Norm