PDA

View Full Version : Great Crested Grebes

John Robinson
05-19-2016, 01:20 AM
Funny how things happen. . You can spend hours setting hides up and sitting for days for nothing. Then you go for a stroll with the wife and this happens. We walked past our local National Trust house lake and this was photographed from a footpath
with dozens of people around us.
Birds weren't bothered in the slightest. Just as the female settled the male came up with a weedy present as they do and I missed it.
D200
80-400mm Nikor VR
640 ISO
250th sec
Monopod
Couple of stray lily heads removed and swan feathers
Cheers
JohnR

Allen Sparks
05-19-2016, 03:40 AM
Hi John,
I like this image with the interaction between the two birds and the framing let's us see the environment where the nest is located. May try lightening the eye of the bird on the right. Nice frame.
Allen

John Robinson
05-19-2016, 05:12 AM
Thanks Allan
Good point.
John

Marina Scarr
05-19-2016, 08:46 AM
You must have been SO excited to see and capture this! I prefer the original eye since the RP appears overdone. I notice you worked on the left bird's eye as well. I think I personally prefer the OP. I would however crop just a tad off of the bottom b/c I think it will help to focus on your amazing subjects. Nice to see the fish in the female's grasp and the pair both sharp.

Michael Thompson
05-19-2016, 09:03 AM
Fantastic capture of these nesting Grebes! Did I tell you I love grebes :bg3:! Love the behavior and interaction. The background is a bit confusing, you have good blur on the leaves and flowers closer to the birds, but further back there is less blur, mostly on the left hand side.

Kalin Botev
05-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Amazing encounter John! I have seen them in the middle of lakes only. I wish you had a bit lower point of view. The good thing is that you know where they are and they are used to people so you can go back and enjoy them some more.
Thanks for sharing!
Kalin

christopher galeski
05-19-2016, 10:21 AM
nice image John,both birds nice and sharp,am I wrong,but that's not a fish,is it not its webbed foot,ps like the eggs showing.TFS.

John Robinson
05-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Thanks all.
Yes Marina- interesting about the eyes. I don't like messing but tried it anyway. I can always reduce it.
Cheers
John

John Robinson
05-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Fantastic capture of these nesting Grebes! Did I tell you I love grebes :bg3:! Love the behavior and interaction. The background is a bit confusing, you have good blur on the leaves and flowers closer to the birds, but further back there is less blur, mostly on the left hand side.
Sorry Michael forgot to reply to your comment. I think it may be connected to my removing feathers etc which was quite messy( and crisp packets which the bird at one time had used in the nest.Cheers
John