PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-Billed Stork Fishing

Stu Bowie
05-18-2016, 08:02 AM
I was parked alongside one of the larger dams in the Kruger National Park, and was really hoping this Yellow-Billed Stork would show me his next meal. Unfortunately, no luck for either of us, but I managed to capture his breeding colours. This was full frame.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300F/2.8 +1.4 TC = 420mm
1/4000 ( hoping for a struggling fish )
F/7.1
ISO 800

Exp comp +0.33
Hand held from the car.

Steve Kaluski
05-18-2016, 08:16 AM
Hi Stu, these are lovely and vibrant subjects, wished like you, it had caught a fish, good thinking on the techs front!

I might just open up the Exp say about a third of a stop, however it's the very dark plumage that I would look at, it's heavily choked and the finer detail isn't coming through. The fact this frame has an open bill adds to the behaviour, ditto the lowish POV. The part reflection also creates more depth IMHO.

TFS
Steve

Stu Bowie
05-18-2016, 09:43 AM
Thanks Steve. Here is a repost with bringing out a bit more detail in the darks. I should have shot manual exposure. :w3

Joseph Przybyla
05-18-2016, 10:36 AM
Wow... what a bird. Parts of it resemble the Wood Stork, other parts the Roseate Spoonbill, and the head and bill is out of this world with color. I like the low POV and the reflection. Thank you for sharing, Stu.

annmpacheco
05-18-2016, 11:12 AM
Hi Stu,
Interesting bird and POV, open beak, and the details except for the darkest feathers are wonderful. Well done. I really like the reds in the face and his tongue!

William Dickson
05-18-2016, 12:28 PM
You captured him well at a good moment Stu. Love the facial expression on the bird and very nice details.

Will

Graham Wilkes
05-18-2016, 12:40 PM
Great image Stu, love the repost, as said good detail in dark plumage and good composition.
Also like the open bill showing feeding behaviour.

Graham.

Steve Kaluski
05-18-2016, 01:50 PM
Now that's better Stu.

I should have shot manual exposure.

Easy with hindsight, but yes :w3, however you did retain some great texture & detail in the whites where some may fail. Fingers crossed Stu the water is rising. :S3:

John Robinson
05-18-2016, 02:38 PM
Like this one Stu.
Even a tight crop on the head would make a nice picture I reckon. Not sure about the reflection but thats a very personal view, not shared by many
Cheers
John

Marina Scarr
05-18-2016, 09:10 PM
What a TERRIFIC looking bird, and just love those colors. The pose with feeding behavior is super. Both versions work for me.

David Salem
05-19-2016, 11:00 PM
I liked this guy when you posted him last time! The colors and details in the white and pinks are fantastic and I love that funky tongue. Very cool Stu