PDA

View Full Version : Golden Ragwort

Warren Spreng
05-17-2016, 09:12 PM
Birds were hiding so on my walk I took some shots of the wildflowers in the woods. This Golden Ragwort was in heavy shadows so I cloned all of the branches out in the background and selected the background and slid the Levels sliders all the way to the right to totally blacken the BG. Thought it gave it a bit of a studio shot look.
Canon 7D Mark II, Tamron 150 - 600mm, 309 mm, 1/250, f/8.0, ISO 800, HH, no flash. Small crop, wondering if I should just clone out that OOF secondary branch. This would have been a good one to try a tripod and do stacking on. Ahhhh hindsight!

Adhika Lie
05-18-2016, 01:46 AM
This is very nice Warren. There might be some people that want more depths of field, I think it's just nice. Good job cleaning up the BG and I actually don't mind the secondary branch. For me it creates some balance to the image. However, there is something weird about the yellow color that I could not quite describe. Is it a blue cast? I am not sure...

Glennie Passier
05-18-2016, 04:54 AM
Warren, Adhika has a very fine eye for detail and I would have to agree the flowers colouring looks a little strange. BG and DoF work OK for me. I might just try a little crop off the top.

Warren Spreng
05-18-2016, 06:05 AM
Thanks Glennie and Adhika, I'll check back on the histogram and see what might be causing the color tint you are seeing, it could possibly be due to the shadows in the location the plant was in.

Edit: Played a bit with the yellows, I think this is more representative of the flower color.

Adhika Lie
05-18-2016, 09:55 AM
Warren, the color on the repost is excellent to me! What did you do to fix it, if I may ask?

Warren Spreng
05-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Warren, the color on the repost is excellent to me! What did you do to fix it, if I may ask?

Thanks Adhika! I used Selective Color in PS, selected yellows and moved the cyan slider just a bit to the left.

Glennie Passier
05-18-2016, 04:09 PM
That's great Warren. There maybe just a tiny hint of cyan left in the OOF leaf at the bottom which would have given you a clue as to which colour to move. I have never used the selective colour in PS. I'm going to give this a whirl at some stage.

Diane Miller
05-19-2016, 10:59 AM
Very nice!! I think the OOF branch adds some reality and dimension without being a distraction. I love the little leaf near the bottom, providing a base.

Definitely improved color in the RP. The underlying culprit would be the WB in raw conversion, but with nothing neutral in the image it can be hard to see what is best. It would come in with the WB the camera chose, which is only a guess and can vary a lot with how many colors are in the image. The fewer colors the worst the guess. Trying Auto in LR/ACR can sometimes give a better balance. And I frequently use the HSL adjustments in LR/ACR.

This sort of minor color tweak is fine to do in PS. Selective Color, Hue-Sat and Color Balance are all different interfaces to basically the same thing. Selective Color has the most control and is a great tool.

Warren Spreng
05-20-2016, 10:50 PM
Thanks Diane, the WB was one factor I didn't try adjusting in LR, interesting thought.

Diane Miller
05-20-2016, 10:56 PM
There's a reason it's at the top of the adjustments! :w3

Warren Spreng
05-20-2016, 10:57 PM
There's a reason it's at the top of the adjustments! :w3

Good point!