PDA

View Full Version : Keep Calm And Hear the jungle .....

Ritesh Nangare
05-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Dhole ( Indian Wild Dogs)
Tadoba, Chandrapur,
Jan 2016,

This is an beautiful Alpha male of the pack out there in Katezari area . this pack of five two females two young female and this Alpha male who sets facing towards other two females are sets right and left and two pappies playing …..
Look of the face of this male is so clam …..

I know this is too tight crop for the comfort but i just want showcase the calm face and the details near the face of this subject .........

Canon 1Dx, Canon 500mm + 1.4 TC, f/6.3 iso 800…..
Enjoy……

Steve Kaluski
05-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Hi Ritesh, I would back off on the sharpening, however it appears you may have applied some 'blurring' (or something equivalent) to the image that you may have excluded in the crop i.e. for the BKG, however in masking you have covered the eyes and part of the nose??????

Ritesh Nangare
05-17-2016, 10:37 AM
Hi Ritesh, I would back off on the sharpening, however it appears you may have applied some 'blurring' (or something equivalent) to the image that you may have excluded in the crop i.e. for the BKG, however in masking you have covered the eyes and part of the nose??????

Yes I feel that too but in my original Raw file also ..... All other areas are great sharp but the nose and eyes seem too flat, there are no details on the nose and eyes at all ..... I don't know why.
If you want I can shear the Raw file also.....

Steve Kaluski
05-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Ritesh if you Dropbox the RAW I will take a look.

Ritesh Nangare
05-17-2016, 01:23 PM
Ritesh if you Dropbox the RAW I will take a look.

Ok ..... I will PM you the Dropbox link tomorrow.....

Steve Kaluski
05-17-2016, 01:42 PM
No need to PM Ritesh, if you upload to Dropbox and send to my email, then I will be notified.

haseeb badar
05-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Hi Ritesh -- I completely agree with what Steve has to say. Steve if possible then please do a RP .

TFS !

Gabriela Plesea
05-18-2016, 11:47 AM
Dear Ritesh,

Nice serene look on this Dhole's face and I was going to mention a few issues but noticed Steve has already pointed them out and you two are busy talking, so I will patiently wait for an RP. So good to see you back and posting in Wildlife, looking forward to more!

Kind regards,

Rachel Hollander
05-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Hi Ritesh - Steve has covered the issues well. Please also don't forget to include the ss with the Exif data and it also helps to describe your pp a bit e.g crop, cloning, any blur, any Nik filters, etc.

TFS and looking forward to your rp,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
05-19-2016, 08:13 AM
Hi Ritesh, thanks for the file as so I can now add some feedback.

1. SS was way to slow, you needed more SS and drop the F/stop, you did not need f/13, albeit perhaps f/11? You need to think more 1/1000 and worry about any noise later. DO NOT get sucker in to low SS unless you can really handle it, it takes time, skill and a few more bits to become competent, so rely on SS.
2. FP was correct, but the Case was not suitable, Evaluate not Spot, reset Sharpness in camera to 0, Peripheral ON
3. Nose looks fine, eyes very little light or detail, you need them open, not semi closed
4. Landscape format OK, but you needed all of the subject in, so perhaps portrait, if either is still not suitable go closer in for a tighter image and avoid cropping too much
5. Minimal PP done here as time is quite precious today/tomorrow, colour I have no idea so just went with something I thought looked right.

BTW You need to update the Firmware to the current edition.

EXIF Data from file, OP is incorrect : 1DX : 500mm with 1.4 : 1/250sec : f/13 : ISO2000

Hope this helps.

Steve

Ritesh Nangare
05-19-2016, 08:19 AM
Hi Ritesh, thanks for the file as so I can now add some feedback.

1. SS was way to slow, you needed more SS and drop the F/stop, you did not need f/13, albeit perhaps f/11? You need to think more 1/1000 and worry about any noise later. DO NOT get sucker in to low SS unless you can really handle it, it takes time, skill and a few more bits to become competent, so rely on SS.
2. FP was correct, but the Case was not suitable, Evaluate not Spot, reset Sharpness in camera to 0, Peripheral ON
3. Nose looks fine, eyes very little light or detail, you need them open, not semi closed
4. Landscape format OK, but you needed all of the subject in, so perhaps portrait, if either is still not suitable go closer in for a tighter image and avoid cropping too much
5. Minimal PP done here as time is quite precious today/tomorrow, colour I have no idea so just went with something I thought looked right.

BTW You need to update the Firmware to the current edition.

EXIF Data from file, OP is incorrect : 1DX : 500mm with 1.4 : 1/250sec : f/13 : ISO2000

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks For the Valuable suggestions and Tips for the image Steve and most of them is your time .... Thanks for doing RP of my image.

Love the RP , I think i over do it and other things.....

Here After i will keep in mind for every thing ....

Regds
Ritesh Nangare

Steve Kaluski
05-19-2016, 08:34 AM
Ritesh, my advice is just to keep that SS up. Be mindful though and don't get carried away, if ISO3200 will do, rather than 6400 and you have i.e. 1/1600 SS great. You have the kit which will deliver, just take your time and just refresh your mind on the various aspects of the camera workings. I did on the 1DX MKII, no harm in a simple refresh.

Remember, I want my RAW files to be with minimal changes as I wish to 'Colour Manage' them, but if you are using DPP then keep it simple and if you haven't bought it, buy Artie/Arash's PDF on Processing via DPP.

Andre Pretorius
05-19-2016, 02:43 PM
Hi Ritesh

Love the ears with the hairs in Steve's RP on your RAW.
My personal experience- one can not NOT crop as drastic as in OP without losing IQ- if you want it that way, then capture it that way in RAW- either add a converter or zoom with your feet...
Hope it helps.
PS- try sometimes even a wider perspective with a smaller lens, you might be surprised!

Gabriela Plesea
05-19-2016, 03:36 PM
Dear Ritesh,

Superb RP from Steve, now I see clearly what a beautiful creature the Dhole is:) Very nice detail and colours, love the ear tufts and just appreciate seeing the "bigger picture" as in "bigger crop". I will not repeat what has already been said, I am sure you will remember in the future to keep an eye on techs and do only what is necessary in terms of PP work - just keep it simple. Please do not get discouraged by what may seem at first to be "harsh critique" from the members and moderators - keep posting my friend, it is the only way to learn. I sometimes had to do four of five RP's to my images until I got it right:bg3:

Kind regards,

Morkel Erasmus
05-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Ritesh you received some good feedback here. I would have liked it you were able to frame a close-up shot in-camera like you did your first crop, but I felt the detail just wasn't there (evidently a big crop).
Sharpening was also overdone. I can't beat the feedback Steve has already given. I like his post and would go with that crop/version for sure on this one.
A cool species, would like to see more of your images of them! :5

Stuart Philpott
05-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Ritesh,first up as is so often the case here,I am also able to draw many lessons from the help given. I much prefer the repost,but do understand what you were trying to portray. Ritesh I have to agree i'd love to see more of this amazing wild dog. I am aware of them,but have little knowledge at all . The repost is leaving me very hungry for more from you !!

take care

Stu

Glennie Passier
05-21-2016, 02:47 AM
Ritesh thank you for sharing this wonderful thread. So much to learn. Steve's RP shows what a glorious looking wild dog he is.

Hope to see more!

keith mitchell
05-21-2016, 03:10 AM
Hi Ritesh ,enjoyed reading all the comments and suggestions on your image,can see what you were trying to portray on your OP,think the repost does show this animal off in a nicer way.

Keith.