PDA

View Full Version : Out Of The Darkness

Mike Moats
06-11-2008, 05:16 AM
I haven't shot any leaf images in a while, so yesterday I went to one of my favorite haunts, a swampy area that always has some leaves floating with all kinds of reflections from overheard objects (trees, leaves, clouds, blue sky). The white side is from the clouds and the dark side was shaded by a tree. You have to shoot these wide open to get the shallow DOF needed to blur the reflections as there will be some details in the reflection that will be picked up when shooting stopped down, which I don't want. Only drawback is you don't always get the leaves completely in focus. Fuji S5 pro, Sigma 180 macro, tripod,F5.6.

John Cooper
06-11-2008, 05:22 AM
The placement of the leaf has made an interesting design Mike. Almost appears to be floating in thick cream!!
Nicely executed!!

Ed Vatza
06-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Mike,

I just made a comment under one of my images about feeling the need to breathe more life into my images. This is an example of what I am talking about. There is just so much more going on here than leaves floating on the water. Beautiful composition and beautiful image. Very well done, Mike.

David Chauvin
06-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Glad to see you back on the leaves, Mike. You make these hard to simplify shots look easy. My only nit on this image is that the dark right edge is too heavy compared to the rest of the frame. Just my two cents on a cool image.

Gus Cobos
06-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Nicely done Mike I like tis very much...:cool:

Alfred Forns
06-11-2008, 07:27 AM
So sweet !!! You never seize to amaze me Mike !!!!

Julie Kenward
06-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Beautiful Mike. I, too, would love to see a bit more detail on the right side but the overall image is superb.

Fabs Forns
06-11-2008, 09:45 AM
So you are having leaf withdrawal symptoms :)
Interesting idea by Julies, although I like as presented.

Robert Amoruso
06-11-2008, 12:46 PM
I like this a lot Mike and thanks for the mention on the DOF considerations. I think I would have like to see the leave more in the cloud reflections though I like the presentation here.

Mike Gallo
06-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Like floating in a bed of liquid silver, very interesting presentation

Mike Moats
06-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Hey Robert, the details you pick up when you stop down on these reflection is all blocthy, and not appealing at all, they work best with a wide open lens. Thanks to you and all for comments.

Stephen Stephen
06-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Mike I really enjoy your images. I like how the water tension adds three dimensional effect. The texture of the underside of the leaves also contrasts nicely with the smooth water surface..