PDA

View Full Version : Last tango

Marc Mol
05-13-2016, 06:11 AM
The lead huntress from the 20 strong Selinda pride locks down on the throat of this daga boy in a "last tango" embrace one morning, this old boy got up 3 times in the battle,

but with 15 lions around you knew was a goner! :Whoa!:

Taking advantage of a mild breeze and shooting multiple frames provided me with a couple that had the eye clear of grass. :w3

Slight darkened vignette and a square crop, not my fav for nature photography but feel it works in this case, couldn't do much about the BG lion I'm afraid.

Selinda- Botswana.

Nikon D4s Nikkor 400 f/2.8E FL VR 1/1000s f/7 ISO450. Curves, levels, TK adj's and a small amount of Nik detail to help bring down the muzzle area, ACr & PS CC '15.

Cheers
Marc

Rachel Hollander
05-13-2016, 06:50 AM
Marc - A very gripping image :bg3:. The intensity leaps from the frame. The clear eye and gritted teeth gives a pleading feel. Looks like the light may have been a bit harsh already but handled well. Square works but if there is nothing distracting to the left I might add a sliver more there. Yes, I wish the lioness in the back wasn't there but it's nature.

TFS,
Rachel

Basil Dardagan
05-13-2016, 07:26 AM
Cheez this is a good image imo. Does a great job of portraying some of the drama and emotion of a scene like this. The lioness and Buffs eyes as well as her front leg wrapped around like that are all REALLY powerful

Loi Nguyen
05-13-2016, 06:14 PM
Wow, this is a killer image :). The eye and teeth of the buffalo and the expression of the lioness tell a powerful story. I don't mind the OOF lion. Loi

haseeb badar
05-14-2016, 04:46 AM
Wow Marc -- This is fantastic ! what a moment and terrific emotion and expression in the frame . You have handled the light quite well , i too wish that lioness in the BG should have not been there but the moment is outweighing it .

TFS !

Gabriela Plesea
05-14-2016, 03:23 PM
Hello Marc,

Incredible scene and killer "embrace" from this powerful and hungry lioness. A difficult one to pull off given the harsh lighting conditions and vegetation. Great timing and I like the POV, image a little tight but I guess you tried to eliminate most distractions in order to bring the audience closer to the action. Powerful moment loaded with tons of emotion - ironically the dying Buffalo has the "upper hand" here, in his apparent silence he portrays more emotion than the hungry lioness - his fate is sealed but the upright face and distended nostrils, as well as open mouth, suggest he fought till the very end. Well captured Marc, techs look good, not sure about the colour version though, IMO a B/W would be more forgiving in terms of the harsh light you had to deal with.

Kind regards,

Marc Mol
05-15-2016, 03:00 AM
Appreciate the positive comments everyone, many thanks!

IMO a B/W would be more forgiving in terms of the harsh light you had to deal with.

Kind regards,

I did play with a B&W version Gabriela for that very reason, but found it less satisfying, it's the blood and that eye in colour that won the day. :w3

Jonathan Ashton
05-16-2016, 05:26 AM
You certainly caught the action there I found the image to compelling viewing, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the buffalo he conveys total panic whilst the lioness absolute control.

Morkel Erasmus
05-16-2016, 10:59 AM
Intense frame and well captured, mate.
I would be tempted to play with going darker in the midtones, it has a kind of washed-out look (perhaps you were going for it?), and I think there can be some more tonal depth with deft work.

Marc Mol
05-16-2016, 12:23 PM
Intense frame and well captured, mate.
I would be tempted to play with going darker in the midtones, it has a kind of washed-out look (perhaps you were going for it?), and I think there can be some more tonal depth with deft work.

Good call there Morkel, I pushed the shadows a liitle too much.

Andre Pretorius
05-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Stunning moment captured here Mark, pure masculinity and raw power.