PDA

View Full Version : Backswimmer devouring pondskater

Jonathan Ashton
05-12-2016, 08:19 AM
Hand held Canon 1DX Canon 180mm macro & polariser. Processed using ACR.
ISO 3200 1/200 sec f13
I photographed this at higher and lower angles from lateral to frontal, I am still not so keen on it. Does it look a mess to you or just confusing, or is it interesting?

MiroslavMaric
05-12-2016, 10:51 AM
Hi Jonathan,

IMHO it's a good documentary capture. Yes, in the first moment I was confused but after few seconds it's clear. Maybe more close up frame could be a solution. In most cases for a such green water in PP I would try to use selective photo filter (PS cooling 82). Of course it's personal taste. TFS.

Cheers,
Miro

Steve Maxson
05-12-2016, 11:45 AM
Hi Jon,

It would be a little confusing, but your title clears that up. I like the comp and the plant helps to give the image context. Also good IQ for ISO 3200 and good DOF where you need it. Backswimmers are pretty efficient predators and I've seen them feeding on dragonfly nymphs larger than themselves (of course, sometimes the dragonfly gets in the first bite and the tables are turned :S3:). Nicely done!

Jerry van Dijk
05-12-2016, 07:50 PM
HI John, works for me, indeed especially after reading the title. What would help is to fix the blown highlights on the pond skater. It's now much of a white blurb and my bet would be that you would be able to get more detail out of those highlight which would make it more clear that the backswimmer is holding on to another insect. All in all this is a very cool capture of a situation I have never encountered. There is a lot of value in that.
I like the somewhat balanced composition by the inclusion of the water plant. I'd run a NR on the water surface, it's still quite grainy from the high ISO.

Jonathan Ashton
05-13-2016, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I am glad you found it worth a look. I have taken on board your suggestions, here is another about 3 frames previous to the one above. The highlights were just blown at capture at conversion I got them down to 235 approx, I have used some NR and tried the cooling filter - only set to 8

MiroslavMaric
05-14-2016, 03:11 AM
More contrast, less highlight, the second photo looks better. TFS.

Cheers,
Miro

Nancy Bell
05-22-2016, 05:14 PM
This is very cool behavior and a great capture! I do like the 2nd image best, and think a title is necessary to give the viewer a leg up in interpreting the uniqueness of this image.