PDA

View Full Version : Strike zone

Matthew Jones
05-11-2016, 09:47 PM
See large version HERE (http://www.matthewjonesphotography.com/#!Whitebellied%20SeaEagle%C2%A9%20Matthew%20Jones/zoom/c16z5/dataItem-im8i54591)

White-bellied Sea-Eagle (Haliaeetus leucogaster)
I've been having a lot of fun photographing the local Sea-Eagles lately, pretty quick when they want to be for such a big bird. 7D Mark II | 100-400mm V II | ISO- 800, F-Stop- 6.3, Shutter Speed- 1/5000 | Manual exposure + 1/3, evaluative metering | 10 fps | cropped in to exclude the top half of the left wing as its huge and throws out the balance of the frame.

Technique- Hand held whilst standing in a shallow bay for the low POV. Lure used, 10 fps. It has taken many sessions for just a few keepers as its difficult to get the elements all lined up.

Krish Naidoo
05-12-2016, 12:51 AM
Nice shot Mathew. Like that "ready to strike" pose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

David Salem
05-12-2016, 01:23 AM
I like the killer pose and the tight comp as it concentrates us to the drama that's about to unfold. Great looking exposure and I like the feather details too. I might try to lighten the eye up a little to give it a bit more life. Well done

Glennie Passier
05-12-2016, 02:48 AM
It must have been a hard choice to exclude the outstretched wing. I agree with a tiny bit of eye work. Maybe my old eyes or just a touch of cyan cast in the shadows?

Beautiful Matt!

gail bisson
05-12-2016, 05:47 AM
Great POV. I feel like if you moved a foot forward YOU would have been the prey!
Whites look good and I like your comp.
Really the the color of blue in the water. I would consider blurring/removing the yellowish/white branch in the BG just in front of the wing.
Love the detail and light on the near wing.
Gail

Kalin Botev
05-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Hi Matthew, great shot! I think the crop was a good decision.

Stu Bowie
05-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Hi Matt, great incoming pose with the outstretched talons, and I like the exposure and feather detail. Although in your face, and yes, this shows oodles of close up detail, as this was a 'set up' using a lure, could you not have moved back and zoomed out to have all of the eagle in your frame. Im guessing you had to be close to throw in the lure, so having a 'helper; may work better. :w3

adrian dancy
05-12-2016, 05:42 PM
All in all pretty impressive with this dynamic pose.

Ritesh Nangare
05-14-2016, 10:23 AM
what an killer shot of the bird .... love the impressive and mighty White-bellied Sea-Eagle in action here......

What a shot .... Loved it fully ....

TFS...

arash_hazeghi
05-16-2016, 01:42 AM
love the intensity and the talons, something has gone wrong with the whites? looks like you had to do heavy highlight recovery here? some whites look a bit grey to my eye

TFS

Matthew Jones
05-16-2016, 07:53 PM
Thanks everyone for cc's, very much appreciated. Arash the breast and belly feathers of this individual were stained yellow and I think what you are discerning is the residual off-white tone from a yellows reduction in PP -30 on the slider. RP below takes the reduction further and includes brightening of the eye (thanks David) and removal of distracting background element (thanks Gail).