PDA

View Full Version : Gannet with tail assisted braking

Mike Poole
05-11-2016, 02:01 PM

One from a couple of weeks ago at Bempton Cliffs. The wind wasn't coming from the best angle, and most of the birds were coming into the cliff face facing away and 'backing in'. This one however went for a different approach and came in head first and had to slam the anchors on at the last minute.

Canon 5d3
500mm f4 is
ISO 800
1/3200th f8.

Mike

gail bisson
05-11-2016, 02:16 PM
This is really nice Mike.
Just love the direct look he is giving you.
Love the splayed tail and the braking feet.
Light is great and the clean BG really makes this guy pop.
Exposure excellent.
Gail

Isaac Grant
05-11-2016, 02:51 PM
We recently had an amazing Gannet show on Staten Island in New York City. There were thousands of them inside the harbor and diving for a week. I was able to get lots of pictures of these birds very close. This photo will make me delete all of them!!! None even come close to this beauty. The eye level and the extended feet and raised tail clearly show exactly what you described. The details are spot on and the varied background is as well. A real winner for me.

John Rowell
05-11-2016, 02:53 PM
I really like the concentrated stare from this approaching gannet. Full flaps for a hot landing, this is a very cool shot. Exposure looks spot on and the colors in the background water really set him off.

John Robinson
05-11-2016, 03:05 PM
All been said. Great sshot all around Mike
Will be up there shortly myself
John

arash_hazeghi
05-11-2016, 03:38 PM
love the pose and the view of those webbed feet! great light and details and an attractive BG

Well done!

stuart wanuck
05-11-2016, 05:57 PM
just a lovely capture and the eyes say it all

Joe Subolefsky
05-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Great shot love everything about it especially the tail up pose!

Matthew Jones
05-11-2016, 08:50 PM
This is AWESOME Mike - so much to like here and sharp all the way through, love it!

David Salem
05-12-2016, 01:46 AM
Wow is right!! Not much I don't like in this killer frame. The webbed feet with the green racing stripes are awesome and the HA and raised tail make for a riveting frame. Great job on the exposure too. One of your best Mike!

Krish Naidoo
05-12-2016, 01:54 AM
Really Nice all round Mike. Certainly looks like using everything to stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shane shacaluga
05-12-2016, 05:22 AM
Very nice! I like that orange head a lot

Exposure perfect and very unique pose

TFS

Stu Bowie
05-12-2016, 06:56 AM
Hi Mike, great head on capture, and I like the DOF from beak to the tip of the tail. Excellent exposure and sharpness, and just love how the Gannet pops from the water BG. The raised tail takes this up a few notches.

annmpacheco
05-12-2016, 07:39 AM
Perfecto Mike, smashing good! super dof, great light, love love love the pose and the BG is sweet, couldn't be any better!

Michael Thompson
05-12-2016, 08:13 AM
Great flight shot! I love how the bird is utilizing all his feathers to try and control its flight, and the look on its face like it is thinking "I screwed up here" lol, and you got the whole bird sharp even though it was close and heading towards you, not always easy!

adrian dancy
05-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Well nailed....not the usual for gannet image. I may get myself up to Bempton.

christopher galeski
05-13-2016, 01:46 AM
Nice flight pose,great IQ,great BG makes the bird stand out.TFS.

William Dickson
05-13-2016, 06:36 AM
Well done on this one Mike. I agree with all the positive comments. I love those dangling feet.

TFS

Will

Mike Poole
05-13-2016, 09:27 PM
Thanks everyone, all comments much appreciated

Mike

Marina Scarr
05-18-2016, 03:22 PM
That tail and the white bird against the dark bg really brings this image to a high level!!

Arthur Morris
09-05-2017, 06:05 AM
Even better! Those feet are screaming good.

with love, artie

ps: afternoon?

Mike Poole
09-06-2017, 10:56 AM
Even better! Those feet are screaming good.

with love, artie

ps: afternoon?

Cheers Artie,

I don't know how well you know Bempton Cliffs, but if you go through the main visitor entrance then you walk out to the main public viewing areas. From there, I prefer to walk to the left for about 15-20 minutes. In the late afternoon / evening, that should get me close to the sun angle you often mention, and gets me away from the crowds, and gives me my own little colony to play with, with very little disturbance from other people.

Mike

Arthur Morris
09-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Cheers Artie,

I don't know how well you know Bempton Cliffs, but if you go through the main visitor entrance then you walk out to the main public viewing areas. From there, I prefer to walk to the left for about 15-20 minutes. In the late afternoon / evening, that should get me close to the sun angle you often mention, and gets me away from the crowds, and gives me my own little colony to play with, with very little disturbance from other people.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I have never been there :( But I am planning to go late June this year. Is there an entry fee? Can you get a season pass or a membership or ??

with love, artie

Mike Poole
09-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Thanks Mike. I have never been there :( But I am planning to go late June this year. Is there an entry fee? Can you get a season pass or a membership or ??

with love, artie

One off entry is £4 per day, annual RSPB membership is £48. June is slap bang in the middle of Gannet season, so no issues there!. Are you thinking of using it as part of your puffins IPT or is this more of a personal visit? If so I'll happily meet up and try and point you to my favoured spots - you just need to set aside a couple of weeks to combat our gloriously predictable weather!!

https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/find-a-reserve/reserves-a-z/reserves-by-name/b/bemptoncliffs/about.aspx

Mike

Arthur Morris
09-08-2017, 01:45 PM
One off entry is £4 per day, annual RSPB membership is £48. June is slap bang in the middle of Gannet season, so no issues there!. Are you thinking of using it as part of your puffins IPT or is this more of a personal visit? If so I'll happily meet up and try and point you to my favoured spots - you just need to set aside a couple of weeks to combat our gloriously predictable weather!!

https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/find-a-reserve/reserves-a-z/reserves-by-name/b/bemptoncliffs/about.aspx

Mike

Thanks Mike, I am gonna do an exploratory pre-trip before the 2018 UK Puffins and Gannets IPT. I should be there by the afternoon of WED 28 June, 2018. And then photograph at least through all day Sunday or possibly for bit on Monday morning. Is there anything to photograph there in the mornings?

Thanks again; you have been most kind and I hope to meet you there.

with love, artie

ps: i will bring my good weather Karma :)