PDA

View Full Version : American Oyster Catcher

gail bisson
05-11-2016, 01:43 PM
Taken at sunset while preening.
Canon 1Dx 600mm
ISO 1600 F6.3 SS1/1250
PP: 75% FF, usual LR6 sliders, off to CS5 for levels and DE at 1 % to bird and USM to JPEG. Nothing added or cloned ( but I am tempted to clone reflection of leg out)
Comments and critiques always learned from and appreciated with thanks,
Gail

Mike Poole
05-11-2016, 01:53 PM
Lovely work Gail, top notch preening pose with the eye standing out, as is so prevalent in these birds. I agree with your thoughts about cloning out the reflection.

Mike

Isaac Grant
05-11-2016, 01:57 PM
As should be obvious by some of my posts, I am a huge Oystercatcher fan. Your shot is perfect. I love the preening pose and the eye. Details and low angle take it over the top. Would you be so kind as to explain what a DE at 1% means?

gail bisson
05-11-2016, 02:04 PM
As should be obvious by some of my posts, I am a huge Oystercatcher fan. Your shot is perfect. I love the preening pose and the eye. Details and low angle take it over the top. Would you be so kind as to explain what a DE at 1% means?
Hi Isaac,
Detail Extractor is a plug-in within NIK Efex Pro. I use it a lot but in very teeny tiny doses ie. 1 or 2% on the bird or parts of the bird. It basically sharpens the image and also adjusts contrast and saturation. The default is set at 25% which is WAY to much. I never use it on the eye of the bird as it seems to do something wonky for my taste. I find it very useful when I am trying to get a bit more detail out of black feathers without increasing noise or losing the "punch" of color in the black.

Isaac Grant
05-11-2016, 02:19 PM
Thanks Gail. I have mentioned this in other post but I have a big problem with the detail extractor. I usually try it at 2 or 3% but think the results are way too crunchy. Will try 1% next time. I certainly have not been able to fine tune the uses of that plug in nearly as well as you have in this post. Thanks!!! Do you ever use the white neutralizer? That along with the tonal contrast are the ones I use the most.

John Rowell
05-11-2016, 02:50 PM
All been said, that's just a really fine image. Gail, do you put kid's water wings on your 600? You are able to get so low that surely you must be just about touching the water. Gorgeous photo in equally great light.

gail bisson
05-11-2016, 02:50 PM
You may find it helpful to move the contrast slider in DE to the left. It is set at a default of 6% but I always slide it back to 1 or 2 %.
I use tonal contrast mostly in a "negative way". I use it to blur out a blotchy BG by sliding the midtone and shadows sliders as far to the left as I need it usually -50 to -60. I only do this to the BG of course.
I occasionally use tonal contrast in the "intended' way with black and white birds.
I have tried the white neutralizer but haven't found that it does much. Perhaps I am not using it in the proper situations.
Gail

Thanks Gail. I have mentioned this in other post but I have a big problem with the detail extractor. I usually try it at 2 or 3% but think the results are way too crunchy. Will try 1% next time. I certainly have not been able to fine tune the uses of that plug in nearly as well as you have in this post. Thanks!!! Do you ever use the white neutralizer? That along with the tonal contrast are the ones I use the most.

Matthew Jones
05-11-2016, 08:58 PM
Just sensational Gail! Such beautiful birds and you have really captured a pose that exhibits the plumage at its very best in beautiful light, congrats :bg3:

David Salem
05-12-2016, 01:42 AM
Man, for a crappy trip you sure are coming up with some nice images! This one is beautiful and I love the preening pose on this handsome fellow. The thing that I like the most is the light and the exposure. Just perfect. The eye looks so nice with that almond shape to it and I like the BG colors. If this was a crappy trip I can't imagine what a good trip would have been like. Keep em coming

Frank Schauf
05-12-2016, 02:04 AM
Great light and super capture, Gail.

Satish Ranadive
05-12-2016, 06:48 AM
All has been said about this gorgeous image of beautiful bird in wonderful lights.

Regards,
Satish.

Stu Bowie
05-12-2016, 01:01 PM
Hi Gail, sweeeeet light, :w3 and love the low perspective. Good DOF on the OC, nice and sharp, and the feather detail shows up so well. Love the overall colours from the light, and Ive always said, your OC's are far more colourful than ours in SA.

Loi Nguyen
05-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Hi Gail, what a lovely bird in golden light. Yes the reflection is a tad bit distraction. It gives the false impression that it is the extension of the leg. I find the crop a little tight at the bottom, not sure if you have more room there. Loi

christopher galeski
05-13-2016, 01:49 AM
Magic image Gail,love the light,nice POV,good detail.great preening pose.TFS.

annmpacheco
05-13-2016, 03:24 PM
what a image, wonderfully done!

Marina Scarr
05-18-2016, 03:21 PM
Killer image with so much interest. I wouldn't touch the reflection.