PDA

View Full Version : Amethyst Sunbird - Female

Stu Bowie
05-10-2016, 02:46 PM
I visited this location last week which is actually a nursery that sells Aloes. In turn the Aloes attract different species of Sunbirds, and the owner has no problem with photographers walking around his nursery photographing his visitors. This is the first decent clean image ( uncluttered BG ) I have of a Sunbird, and did manage to capture other species during this shoot. I decided to leave the lighter part of the lower BG, which is part of a pathway. I have already cropped away a fair bit of the pathway at the bottom of the image.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300F/2.8 +2X TC = 600mm
1/640
F/7.1
ISO 640

Exp comp +0.33
Hand held

Glennie Passier
05-10-2016, 05:58 PM
Stu, I am a big fan of aloes and know their bird attracting abilities. I have never seen one like this before though..bird either. The BG works well. I would not have guessed it to be a pathway.I like the way the colours moves through the frame. I am not familiar with the bird so not able to comment on his colours, but they look natural and not over processed. A like the diagonal of the bird and flower stem very much.

My only thought is that perhaps there could be some canvas sliced off the LHS?

Allen Sparks
05-10-2016, 09:01 PM
Hi Stu,
I'm fine with the BG and the colors work well as Glennie mentions. I like the capture of the bird sipping from the flower - well done.
Allen

christopher galeski
05-11-2016, 01:58 AM
Loverly image Stu,nice BG,good detail and the pose very nice .TFS.

Steve Kaluski
05-11-2016, 02:55 AM
Hi Stu, sweet image.

I like the diagonal angle of the stem and the choice of crop works. However, for me it's the BKG that works oh so well, with the darker part providing the 'pop' to the head of the plant and then the light band of colour at the foot. Overall it's a nice image to view. May get a chance to see these later?

TFS
Steve

John Robinson
05-11-2016, 04:47 AM
Nice one Stu
Like the BG on this - the way it enhances things. Love the flower too! Grand little fella
John

gail bisson
05-11-2016, 02:10 PM
What a beautiful flower.
Simple image design really looks nice.
My only wish would be that the bird had been more parallel to the sensor.
Tack sharp and god IQ.
Gail

Stu Bowie
05-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Thanks a stack for the feedback everyone. Always appreciated.

Mike Poole
05-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Theres no way I'd be chopping the lower part of the BG of Stu, it's beautiful the way it flows. Great bird and a nice setting, would have been even better if he'd been a bit more square on, but its a beauty as it is.

Mike

Matthew Jones
05-11-2016, 09:13 PM
This is a cracker Stu, congrats! Love the bird, flower and BG. My only suggestion would be a slightly different composition with a 4:6 crop to reduce the negative canvas left. I have taken the liberty of a repost to demonstrate, what do you think, any value add - cheers

David Salem
05-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Great looking capture Stu. The bird looks fantastic against the dark background, it really highlights her well and I love the exposure and details. Great looking flower you caught her on too. Very nice frame, and a cool new shooting spot. I like Square crops, I know you don't, but I think Matt's needs a bit more room on the right.
Well done.

Gerhard Weldhagen
05-12-2016, 07:35 AM
Original crop looks much better and more balanced. No need to fiddle with this image.

Steve Kaluski
05-12-2016, 07:52 AM
No need to fiddle with this image.

I agree. :S3:

Stu Bowie
05-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Hi Matt, thanks a stack for your repost, but I feel leaving the space for the Aloe to lean into works better. :w3

Thanks to everyone else for your feedback.