PDA

View Full Version : Sibling Rivalry...

Joseph Przybyla
05-10-2016, 12:24 PM
Another from my recent time spent with the Burrowing Owls. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 300mm (450mm FFE)
1/1000 F/8 Matrix Metering +1 EV ISO 1100
Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC, cloned out some vegetation in the background
Cropped for composition and presentation

William Dickson
05-10-2016, 02:26 PM
Fantastic pose on the main subject. Lovely detail and blends great with the BG. I like the OOF owl, and the crop, the first thing my eye is drawn to is the main subject.

Nice one Joe and TFS

Will

Stu Bowie
05-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Hi Joe, good interaction from the top Owl showing off his vocal chords. I like how the bottom Owl seems totally uninterested in his mates calling. I feel the top Owl is a touch dark, so a bit more lighting should make him pop a little more.

Allen Sparks
05-10-2016, 09:08 PM
Hi Joseph,
These sure make interesting and cute subjects. Love the behavioral interaction you caught. Agree with Stu on seeing what lightening the bird does for the image. Well caught.
Allen

Steve Kaluski
05-11-2016, 03:02 AM
Hi Joe, personally I don't think the OOF owl at the foot adds to the scene and just having the single top owl strengthens the comp, but then you are cropping tight and throwing away a lot of info/data, not ideal. Agree he also looks a tad dark, are you checking the Histogram?

TFS
Steve

John Robinson
05-11-2016, 04:50 AM
Hi Joe
Like it
I would go for a tighter crop with just the top one in. Just my personal view.
Good stuff
John

Joseph Przybyla
05-11-2016, 05:43 AM
Thanks everyone for viewing, commenting, and suggesting improvements. Very much appreciated...

Here is a horizontal composition that I think reflects the suggestions offered. Regarding the dark image exposure, I had recalibrated my display... wrong choice. I have now gone back to using the ambient light monitor using the Datacolor Spyder. Thanks again everyone.

Daniel Cadieux
05-11-2016, 11:21 AM
Hey Joe, I much prefer the repost. I realize adding the second subject could have added interest but to me it added a distraction. On the repost we can concentrate on the neat pose of the subject, and the extra habitat looks good too.

keith mitchell
05-11-2016, 01:24 PM
Joe i really am enjoying viewing these Owl images of yours,do much prefer the repost but do understand what you were trying to convey with the OP,thanks for showing us these.

Keith.