PDA

View Full Version : Reed bunting

Jonathan Ashton
05-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Hand held, Canon 1D Canon 500mm f4 & 2xTCII ISO 1000 1/1000 sec f11 full frame crop from landscape format.
Processed using ACR this time, some slight tidying of the background (OOF phragmites blowing in the wind)
All C&C welcome.

Stu Bowie
05-10-2016, 02:06 PM
Hi Jon, I like your comp with the reed grass running up through the frame, and Im glad you didnt cut it off at the top. Lovely excited pose from the Bunting, well placed, and I do like the colours in the BG.

William Dickson
05-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Very nice Jon, well done at that range, hand held. I love the lighting and the pose on the bird. As Stu mentioned, the crop is very nice.

Will

Glennie Passier
05-10-2016, 05:45 PM
An absolutely beautiful frame. Composition is great. BG colours are lovely and a cute little singing bird to top it all off.

Allen Sparks
05-10-2016, 09:09 PM
Hi Jon,
Great singing pose and I like the composition as others have mentioned. Nice BG too.
Allen

christopher galeski
05-11-2016, 02:03 AM
nice calling pose and perch,some nice detail,like the BG,is it a gorse bush in the BG.TFS.

Steve Kaluski
05-11-2016, 03:06 AM
Hi Jon, lovely setting and I love the almost blown white of the grasses set against the rich ochre of the backdrop. Nicely framed, but in an ideal world a hint more light on the head may have helped the dark, shadow parts, WDYT??? I would have pushed the ISO for more SS if it was me.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
05-11-2016, 05:12 AM
Thanks very much everyone, I am glad you liked it, I was lucky I spotted this bird whilst walking with Barney. The background was gorse willows and phragmites, there was just a small window of opportunity in terms of time and space to get the shot so a couple of bursts of high speed did the trick. Steve - yes I agree a faster shutter speed would have been advantageous, I did take some at faster speed but all the images were when he wasn't calling hence this particular post.

keith mitchell
05-11-2016, 07:43 AM
Jon reminds me of a top class water colour,the colours on this are beautiful,lovely bit of photography.

Keith.

Daniel Cadieux
05-11-2016, 11:24 AM
Awesome pose, beautiful perch and the BG is highly appealing. For my tastes I would have preferred no extra vegetation apart from the perch - I realize this was not a setup per say so you had what you had. Nicely done overall though.

Jonathan Ashton
05-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Thanks very much everyone for your comments. I did ponder over the seed head at the bottom and the fuzzy one on the right, I decided to leave them to lend a sense of credibility, if it had been totally clean I doubt anyone in UK would have believed it.

Mike Poole
05-11-2016, 02:16 PM
Really interesting behavioural shot, the way the entire shot flows with the head up looking the same way as the stem works beautifully for me.

Mike

David Salem
05-12-2016, 12:59 AM
The calling pose and the BG look great. I agree about the extra vegetation but still looks like a painting to me. Exposure looks good too. Well done

Satish Ranadive
05-12-2016, 06:51 AM
Magnificent image. Superb calling pose, beautiful colors, nice BG with beautiful perch.

Regards,
Satish.