PDA

View Full Version : Oriole On A Parachute Cord

Norm Dulak
05-09-2016, 06:54 AM
D7200 w/Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 @ 500mm
Auto ISO; f/8.0, 1/250 sec; matrix metering
Taken at a distance inside and through a window.

We've hung parachute cord at intervals across our picture windows, to help prevent birds from flying into them. The slightest breeze moves the cords to warn the birds. Yesterday a pair of Baltimore Orioles found a new use for the cords. Flying back and forth between a deck railing and the cords, sometimes grabbing one cord, at other times straddling two, they pecked at their reflections in the window. Here, the female peeked through the window.

Glennie Passier
05-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Norm, I think you have done well to shoot this image through a window. I would be unable to do this as my windows are always in need of a clean. My son has hung string around his windows like this also, but tied old CDs to them. What has been amazing is that the sun birds feel the string has been hung for them to build their nests on.

I like the uncluttered BG and the the colours are lovely. I've never seen this bird before, so unable to comment on his colours, but they look honest. Love the pose. I know some would not like the perch, but it doesn't bother me. It just shows me how adaptive birds can be.

Thank you for sharing!

Norm Dulak
05-11-2016, 06:24 AM
Thanks Glennie!

keith mitchell
05-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Norm it's amazing what birds get up to,you have some nice detail and sharpness from a shot throgh the glass,very well caught.

Keith.