PDA

View Full Version : Walrus

Nancy Bell
05-07-2016, 05:25 PM
This walrus was a very mellow fellow with 12 of us lining the edge of the ship taking photographs. Mostly he was interested in his sleep and would at times grace us with uplifted head and open eyes. Such an awesome creature!

North of Norway near the pack ice, April 2016.

Canon 1x, Canon 100-400 II + 1.4x III @ 504mm, 1/500, f8, ISO 2000

c & c most appreciated.

Rachel Hollander
05-08-2016, 07:26 AM
Hi Nancy - I think this is one of your best processed images. Excellent detail and sharpness. Interesting to see the ice on the tusks. Might just try to tame the highlights of the tusk on the left as we look at it. Nice one overall.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
05-08-2016, 11:31 AM
Hi Nancy, that looks much better and justify's the capture, I'm just very surprised you got so close, as I was lead to believe 100m is the comfort zone.

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
05-08-2016, 11:33 AM
I am loving this, Nancy!

Nice POV, good choice on DOF, well exposed and so well processed. Wonderful textures and colours and killer pose from the Walrus! Superb BG.
Agree with Rachel, one of your best processed images - Congratulations dear Nancy:cheers:

Warmest regards,

keith mitchell
05-08-2016, 02:41 PM
Nancy you have some superb sharp detail on this,particularly like the texture of the coat and that ice on the whiskers and tusks.

Keith.

John Robinson
05-08-2016, 03:39 PM
Best Walrus pic I have seen Nancy. I don't know any thing about these animals, but I do know a bit more now.!!
Great impact with this shot. The rear ice helps the feel of the pic too.
John

Glennie Passier
05-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Nancy, that's one amazing image! Given you were on a boat, the POV is amazing. The detail of his face are terrific. Good BG. I do agree about the nearest tusk is a little bright.

Well done!

haseeb badar
05-09-2016, 02:50 AM
Hi Nancy -- this is awesome ! very nicely framed with superb details and sharpness . When i was staring at this image it gave me an impression that the whiskers are just coming out of its hide just like a movie scene when human transforms into an animal and all that transformation takes place , just like a 3D effect . Brilliantly done and TFS !

Anette Mossbacher
05-10-2016, 03:20 AM
Hi Nancy,

very nice processed. I like the pose very much. Agree with Rachel on the HL on the tusk. Would tame that as well. If I would see it in my image :w3

More eyes see more than just ours :w3

Have a fantastic day

Ciao Anette

Jonathan Ashton
05-10-2016, 06:40 AM
Nancy that is a real peach of a shot - well done. The pose and the detail, the lovely background all comes together to create a high impact image.

Nancy Bell
05-10-2016, 02:59 PM
Thank you so very much for the comments and compliments! So appreciated! I did try a different approach to processing and am glad that it worked out here. Will tame those highlights on the tusks.

Morkel Erasmus
05-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Great detail here, with a pleasing head angle to boot. The ice on the tusks make it.
Tame those highlights Rachel mentioned and it's all there :5

dennis greenwood
05-11-2016, 05:43 AM
Instant focus to the eye of the Walrus,great compostion , a classic shot brilliant

Marc Mol
05-13-2016, 10:20 AM
Hi Nancy - I think this is one of your best processed images. Excellent detail and sharpness. Interesting to see the ice on the tusks. Might just try to tame the highlights of the tusk on the left as we look at it. Nice one overall.

TFS,
Rachel

Rachel has summed up my exact thoughts on this fine portrait Nancy, very impressed at the detail extracted with the 1.4tc as well.

TFS

Mike Poole
05-13-2016, 08:54 PM
Fantastically detailed portrait, an absolute pleasure to view

Mike