PDA

View Full Version : Reddish Egret Chasing A Fish

Allen Sparks
05-07-2016, 04:29 AM
Canon 7D2, 400mm f4 DO II, 1.4x TC III, monopod
ISO 640, f 7.1, 1/2500s

Saw this egret last month at Ding Darling NWR. Cloned out a tracking antenna from behind the bird's head.

Joseph Przybyla
05-07-2016, 06:50 AM
Excellent timing to capture this image. Thank you for sharing, Allen.

Daniel Cadieux
05-07-2016, 07:02 AM
How cool is that!! Not only does the egret look good, but the fish jumped up to an excellent pose with both eyes showing. Neat splash too, it adds a lot to the action. I do think that for this image there is a bit much space above. A bit of colour noise creeping up in the plumage, especially in the greys. Good call removing the antenna.

steve torna
05-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Hi Allen, Great timing and very interesting poses by both subjects; stimulates curiosity. Might consider a slight CWR. Please provide additional information about the image. Was the egret hunting the fish? Did the fish just happen to leap as the egret was landing? What are the circumstances surrounding the capture? steve

Allen Sparks
05-07-2016, 08:51 AM
Hi Joseph, Daniel, and Steve. Thank you for the comments.

Steve, the egret was trying to catch and eat the fish. The fish were jumping out of the water trying to escape. I have two other images of fish jumping out of the water trying to flee. The bird did catch one of the fish and ate it. I may post the series of shots later in the story sequences forum.

Allen

Stu Bowie
05-08-2016, 01:11 AM
Hi Allen, excellent timing here, and love the full wingspread of the Egret. The jumping fish takes this to another level.

Jonathan Ashton
05-08-2016, 02:08 AM
Great shot Allen, I bet you were thrilled to bits when you checked the screen on the back of the camera! Great capture focus, exposure etc spot on.