PDA

View Full Version : Holding on

Oscar Zangroniz
06-10-2008, 10:38 PM
This was taken at the Rookery Bay Environmental Center. Went to photograph birds, but there were none. This was about the only thing flying.

Nikon D300
Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 vr
Focal length: 200mm
Shutter speed: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: 5
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: -2/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 800

Fabs Forns
06-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Lovely details on those wings, Oscar.
Glad you are having a good vacation!

The eyes could use a little more sharpening and add some canvas to the top, kind of tight.

We missed you in class tonight!

John Cooper
06-10-2008, 11:36 PM
An attractive dragonfly Oscar - agree with Fabs re some extra canvas at top.

Mike Moats
06-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Hey Oscar, nice image and agree on points mentioned.

David Chauvin
06-11-2008, 06:08 AM
Oscar,,,,,these pennants are one of my favorite subjects. They are fairly approachable and don't fold their wings down after landing. It looks like the focus is on the far wing which pulls my eye there rather than to the df's head. To me, insect and bird photography have a lot in common and all the same principles apply. The human brain is hard wired to go straight to the subject's eye unless there is some other really compelling point of interest. In this case, the far wing isn't strong enough, IMHO. Close-up work magnifies (no pun intended) depth of field issues and the angle of approach and focus point become critical. Also, an inch or two difference in camera angle can make all the difference in the world in what is in or out of focus or what appears in the background. Best Regards,,,,,,,,David

Gus Cobos
06-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Hi Oscar,
I like the composition. Your focal point is not on the eyes; its on the portion of the wing just above the body. You need to selective sharpen the eyes, and give him more room on top for the wing...:D:)

Gus Cobos
06-11-2008, 07:10 AM
P.S. You also might want to add some texture to the bottom portion of your perch, because its a wee bit hot...:eek: