PDA

View Full Version : Low Tide

Adhika Lie
05-06-2016, 10:45 AM
When going through the archive, I found this one from a vacation in Southern Oregon from many moons ago which I believe was taken by the beach near our hotel.

I will be the first to admit that the composition is not exactly what I'd like to see in my pictures these days but I think that just shows how our styles evolve in one way or another. For example, I still remember going through the long exposure phase back then and I am pretty sure that's the only reason I took this picture. But when I processed this image yesterday, even though I still love long exposure shots, I think the break in symmetry on the top right portion is an unresolved tension that outweighs the dreamlike long exposure on the sky. In any case, I assume some people might perceive it differently so chime in with your comments. :cheers:

12mm lens on DX body, 88 sec, f/16, ISO 200 with simple processing on LR and export to Affinity photo to tame down the surfline (low opacity healing brush)

Glennie Passier
05-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Oh my! This is very, very nice. You have a talent for this sort of landscape. Just beautiful Adhika. You have such a good eye for composition. Now you know I can't let an image go without at least one nit. So here it is. That tiny little light speck of a stone on the LHS mid frame is just a tad to bright for me. Beautiful lead in line with the ridge of sand.

I'm heading off to a little island in a couple of weeks. I would be happy to achieve something half as nice as this.

Well done Adhika!

Adhika Lie
05-07-2016, 12:01 AM
Glennie, many thanks! Nice observation on that rock. I was not bothered but now I can't unsee it so it has to go. Because the modification is so minor, I am reposting it on Pane #1.

Glennie Passier
05-08-2016, 02:44 AM
I reckon that does it. Well done! I can't wait to give this a try.

Don Railton
05-08-2016, 11:28 PM
Hi Adhika

I like the B&W treatment, it maybe a bit bright on the surf line for me but thats niggling... I also think i would have got a little lower so the two rocks were not so isolated from each other but that's just me thinking out loud really. Not sure i would have shot this like that.. Nice image..

DON

Adhika Lie
05-08-2016, 11:55 PM
Hi Don, thanks so much! I agree with your assessment about the surf line. It's still a little too bright. I decided to give it another round of edit to see if I can tame it a little more and I think this is a much more pleasing image. Just pretend you've never seen the earlier image. Is this believable?

Don Lacy
05-09-2016, 05:29 PM
HI Adhika, Very nice image and I like the choice to go BW with the long exposure. I do wish the foreground element was not as prominent in the frame as it is and I find the image tonalities a little to bright and needing darker darks. I hope you dont mind but I did a quick edit to show you what I mean in it I tone down the bright areas with a luminosity mask and adjusted the black and mid points with a level adjustment. Just for fun I did ad a Orton layer to the overall image.

Adhika Lie
05-10-2016, 12:01 AM
Don, thanks for these very good inputs. You have given me the encouragement to work on this image some more.

So, I brought down the curve a little bit and brought up some texture on the sky using CEP. What do you guys think?

Glennie Passier
05-11-2016, 02:59 AM
Adhika, the last post if my favourite. Love it! Do I see magenta and green?

Don Lacy
05-11-2016, 09:13 AM
The last post works for me

Don Railton
05-11-2016, 11:08 PM
And for me..

Diane Miller
05-12-2016, 10:59 AM
I'm late to the party here, but love this and its evolution. I didn't mind the surf line in the OP but do love the toning in the last one. The detail above the FG rock is so lovely that I think it serves as a nice bridge to the distant ones.

Nice to see such a nice shot from previous years! And so nice to be able to go back and re-work.

Morkel Erasmus
05-13-2016, 05:18 PM
I actually like the composition here. Not as obvious as most would shoot it.
I prefer the 2nd last repost.

Andrew McLachlan
06-08-2016, 03:23 PM
Hi Adhika,

A little late to the party but I too like this composition and my preference is for the repost in Pane #8. Very well done :)