PDA

View Full Version : Break from Slumber

Andre Pretorius
05-01-2016, 12:23 PM
We have seen a few Hyena pups, so I thought...through in another one!

Image from September 2015 in Kruger, close to Mopani Camp, if I can remember correctly.
It was a semi overcast afternoon and two Hyena pups were lying close to the road. I decided to veer of the shoulder of the road on the opposite side to have a lower shooting angle. They were lazy, dozing off and
delighting us with with their nonchalant behaviour. This youngster eventually got up and moved off.

Nikon D3S with 500f4
1/1250 @ f6,3
ISO 2500
+0,3EV
LR, in PS CC masked Levels,Curves, D&B layers.
Sharpened for web.

keith mitchell
05-01-2016, 02:19 PM
Andre a fine portrait I do like the nice soft appealing look with those lovely dark eyes .Bits of grass on the fur and it's nose add interests to the image.

Keith.

haseeb badar
05-02-2016, 02:44 AM
Hi Andre -- Very nice portrait here ! Good call on DOF and colours look very natural . You have some excellent image with you , keep them coming .

I took the liberty for an alternate crop with a slight more sharpening , WDYT ?

TFS !

Steve Kaluski
05-02-2016, 02:54 AM
Hi Andre, seems you have cracked you PP issues and like the previous posting and nice, solid portrait. The colours and tones just work & blend with each other exceedingly well and the OP & RP work. Techs look good, see what I mean about not worrying and having a decent SS.

TFS
Steve

Andre Pretorius
05-02-2016, 04:09 AM
Thank you Keith, Haseeb and Steve for comments!

Haseeb, I like your portrait crop, it also works. In the OP I wanted him to walk into the frame, wanted to include some of that lovely BG.
Steve, I am still trying find my own niche/style that works for me- feels like a Gorilla picking leafy branches for his nest, and where to place them to be comfortable...:eek3:

Steve Kaluski
05-02-2016, 04:15 AM
Steve, I am still trying find my own niche/style that works for me- feels like a Gorilla picking leafy branches for his nest, and where to place them to be comfortable...

Nice analogy Andre, but you know my thoughts in what you need to do. :w3

Rachel Hollander
05-02-2016, 08:36 PM
Hi Andre - A very simple but pleasing portrait. Techs and pp all look good with nice tones and color. I prefer the op but as you know, I like a bit of negative space.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
05-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Nice solid portrait here Andre!
Good clarity and sharpness too. I prefer the OP, like Rachel, for the negative space. The hyena does look a tinge too green for me but my monitor does need to be calibrated again...