PDA

View Full Version : Walrus on ice

Nancy Bell
04-28-2016, 05:14 PM
I recently returned from a fabulous adventure to the pack ice north of Svalbard. This was the first winter trip to the pack ice authorized by the Norwegian government. We found the pack ice to be at the location it normally is in July, most likely due to climate change and the effect of El Nino. Walrus is a new life animal for me and I found them to be awesome!

Photographed from the ship. Canon 1Dx, Canon 100-400 (new version) + 1.4xIII @ 140mm, 1/800, f8, ISO 2000, tripod.

c & c always appreciated

Rachel Hollander
04-28-2016, 06:58 PM
Hi Nancy - Glad you had a great trip. Which boat were you on? Interesting about the pack ice. Nice look at the walrus with good detail where it matters. Seems like a big bull but with small tusks. Biggest issues for me is it's a little tight on the sides. You didn't need the tc but my guess is you may have been shooting other things with it. Sharpness looks ok but our rule of thumb when shooting from the boat was at least 1/1600 because the motors were always on. Hope to see more from your trip.

TFS,
Rachel

Andre Pretorius
04-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Hi Nancy

Love this leathery looking fellow!
Have never seen one- he reminds of an electron microscope image of a bed bug! (no insult meant...)
Good detail in MT and whites.
Also would like more space on sides.
Nice to see one here.

Gabriela Plesea
04-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Hello Nancy and welcome back, so happy to see you post here in Wildlife!

Awesome looking fellow! Been doing some reading on Walruses tonight, interesting to know this is the largest species of seal in the Arctic. Unusual pose and quite delightful, I am smiling from ear to ear reading Andre's description of this chubby chappie:bg3: I think he is one beautiful specimen and very healthy despite his battle wounds, the pose is unique, image well exposed and I like the colours. Glad you did not sharpen this too much, I like the skin with its rubbery look:) I do agree with Rachel, a bit more space would have been great - but what a frame filler you have here!

Lovely image overall and I enjoyed viewing, very curious what else you have in those folders... so please keep them coming!

Warmest regards,

Nancy Bell
04-29-2016, 06:22 PM
Thank you Rachel, Andre & Gabriela! It was that "bedbug" pose that had me posting this walrus image. I do have more space in front, but none in back, therefore I tried to balance it. Rachel, that info on using 1600 to overcome the boat engine reached me a little late in the session. Or maybe I just had so many hats, scarves, etc. wrapped around my head and ears that I heard nothing! :S3: It was cold!

Morkel Erasmus
04-30-2016, 01:38 AM
Nancy this is a cute shot! He looks so snug, curled up on the ice.
Good detail and colour contrasts here, and the top down view works. This is a bucket list destination for me for sure!

Nancy Bell
04-30-2016, 03:56 PM
Thank you Morkel! This is so definitely a bucket list destination! And since you do landscapes as well, you would be astounded by the uniqueness of this area!

Stuart Philpott
05-01-2016, 07:27 AM
Hi Nancy sounds like you had an amazing time and what a joy to view this guy. Nancy I think the clarity of your image stunning adore the way his skin is displayed colour and how you have handled this picture.The downwards angle i also love. Ahh what a joy to see and view with his rear flippers tucked in just priceless

TFS

take care

stu

haseeb badar
05-01-2016, 04:13 PM
Hi Nancy -- Wonderful capture ! I liked the details and colours in the subject and the angle also works here . I too feel it is a bit tight but these things happen on the field and still you have managed a lovely image . TFS !

Steve Kaluski
05-02-2016, 03:32 AM
Hi Nancy, this is a cool location for sure in terms of both wildlife & animals, it's one of my favourites.

Agree on the overall framing being too tight and with the zoom, you need to work a bit harder I feel, but it gives you much more flexibility in terms of comp. To me the subject appears to have some NIK applied and lacks the tonal depth, likewise the finer detail I would have expected with the kit and close proximity to the subject.

Looking at the puncture marks on the side he may have be sparring recently.

What was the ship you were on, surprised they got this close.

TFS
Steve

Nancy Bell
05-03-2016, 08:41 AM
Thank you all for your comments. Steve, the ship was Swedish, the M/S Origo. This walrus never showed any intention of moving or alarm. We left him snug as a bug on his piece of ice. And I always seem to struggle with processing and cannot capture that elusive tonal depth that you mention. It does frustrate me greatly.