PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Candy Sky

Don Lacy
04-26-2016, 02:43 PM
This image was from a magical sunrise a few months back that I just got around to processing. I left most of the color cast in the image since I feel it takes the image into the surreal and matches how I felt watching this beautiful morning usher in the new day.

Canon 6D, 16-35 f/4 at 16mm, 2.5s at f/14, manual mode, evaluative metered, ISO 100, this is a single frame with very little processing done to it just white, black and mid point adjustments with a levels layer and some contrast added to the highlights and darks using luminosity masks at no time did I add saturation besides what the camera captured I even used the neutral profile when converting the Raw.

Luis Patacao
04-26-2016, 04:39 PM
Hi Don, this is really a strong ad colorful sky leaving its footprint on the water..
As you`ve only included sky + water i would remove the sand in the lower corner to simplify the image. One small note, not sure if it was intentional and its not serious, but the horizon line is leaned towards the left, a clockwise rotation would fix it.

Don Lacy
04-26-2016, 07:27 PM
Hi Don, this is really a strong ad colorful sky leaving its footprint on the water..
As you`ve only included sky + water i would remove the sand in the lower corner to simplify the image. One small note, not sure if it was intentional and its not serious, but the horizon line is leaned towards the left, a clockwise rotation would fix it.
Yes it is stupid electronic level in the camera:bg3:

Adhika Lie
04-26-2016, 10:00 PM
Ah, cotton candy sky. I, for one, cannot hold myself back from pressing that shutter button. Agreed with the horizon observation, but on the contrary, I think the sand adds to the image, giving it some anchor. Awesome shot!

Glennie Passier
04-26-2016, 10:50 PM
Don. Another beauty! I think you should leave the sand. I'm going to a little island in about 3 weeks. I would be most happy if I could capture something half as beautiful as this.

Don Railton
04-26-2016, 11:25 PM
Wonderful image Don. I love getting up to mornings like this.. I dont mind the sand either although i see where Adhika is going. If you cropped this from the bottom to loose the sand the wave would be also cropped, which is a 'no win' for me...

DON

Diane Miller
05-02-2016, 06:47 PM
Wow! Gorgeous! I don't mind the sand but would straighten the horizon.

Morkel Erasmus
05-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Simplistic and beautiful - such pristine light here and elegant lines.

Agreed - fix the horizon and you have a wall hanger :5

Andrew McLachlan
05-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Hi Don...another killer image...and agree with Morkel, adjust the horizon and hang it on the wall !!!

Grady Weed
06-30-2016, 12:34 PM
Leave the sand, it anchors the image and gives it depth, which would take away if removed. Breath taking Don.