PDA

View Full Version : Brown Hare.

keith mitchell
04-26-2016, 03:32 AM
Nikon D4
Nikon 300 mm 2.8
1/400@F4
iso 1250 .

My farmer friends sometime complain that 3 Hares will eat as much as 1 sheep this image shows that they do also eat weeds and not only corn crops,if I new then what I know now i would have probably increased the iso rather than using to f4 to get me a better shutter speed,we live and learn!

haseeb badar
04-26-2016, 07:08 AM
Hi Keith -- I liked the alert pose . Agree with your self critique though , i feel a bit more sharper face would have been well but still you done well with the given techs. It looks a bit angled away from the camera , a more towards the camera turn would have been much better. I am not familiar with the colours of the subject but from what i have seen looks all fine to me. Also the grass in the FG is something what i liked in this frame very nicely placed ( acting like a fence ) .

TFS !

Rachel Hollander
04-26-2016, 07:55 AM
Hi Keith - Nice to see a hare and I like the standing pose but a couple of problems with this one. The HA and body angled away from you is not ideal even though you captured the hare eating a stalk. Ideally you would have been more to the right to get it at least parallel to the sensor but understand that the moment would have been over even if you could have moved. Second issue is that there is a heavy magenta cast to the soil and hare. That one of course is an easier fix. Keep them coming.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
04-26-2016, 07:59 AM
Hi Keith, love the pose sitting back on the hind legs with the ears back and the vegetation/weed in his/her mouth, pretty cool.

You cannot predict where these will stop being wild, but if you were a little more (in an ideal world) to your right, then I think you would have had a better separation and even be a tad more parallel with the head, but as I said - in an ideal world! There are a couple of other issues, but I want to wait. A busy BKG, but I think not enough to worry about. Personally I think it's sharp enough, but just my take.

TFS
Steve

keith mitchell
04-26-2016, 11:02 AM
Thanks Haseeb must say had not noticed the line of plants which are sweetcorn looks like a bad cloning job,iq wise have to crop a bit with my 300mm but was happy enough with this but will certainly give it another look.Thanks Rachel the colour thing rears it's head, you are so right now I look and Steve pointed out to me i can see the cast.With the repost I have decreased the reds,blues and magenta and with some advice I have from Steve that I will use on my next post will look deeper into this if the old eyes will allow.Steve these Hares pop out of standing oil seed rape crops and usually stay close ,this bit is patrolled by a pair of Marsh Harriers so does make them a bit jumpy.Will have a look and see if I have a better head angle.

Steve Kaluski
04-26-2016, 11:26 AM
Hi Keith, I think it's going in the right direction, but in parts of the fur it's look a bit odd, will highlight & email.

I might add a Colour balance adjustment now (% figures personal tastes), as it brings a bit more 'life' to the subject I feel.
Midtone: 0/0/-15
Highlights: +1/0/0
Shadows: +7/0/-5

Gabriela Plesea
04-26-2016, 03:24 PM
Hello Keith,

I love hares and rabbits as much as I love mice... This one is very cute, love the pose from him busy munching on the stalk, kind of alert and ready to take off - I would have aimed for higher SS, just in case he did take off:)

Nice DOF and this long-eared fellow pops nicely against the BG, I like the way you managed to isolate him from the busy surroundings. Steve's RP sorts out the colour issues beautifully and reveals some lovely textures in the fur.

Not too happy with the head angle, it feels like the hare is walking away.

Good sharpness and IQ, and I really think you are going to produce some stunners very soon, if I were you I would look carefully at those issues that keep coming up and try to pay more attention to techs in the field as well as considering some more thoughtful compositions in order to "grab the audience". I really love your mouse images, cannot wait to see more from you:w3

Warmest regards,

keith mitchell
04-27-2016, 02:45 AM
Thanks for your encouraging words Gabriela:S3:

Keith.

Stuart Philpott
05-01-2016, 07:21 AM
Hiya Keith,I can also see the colour cast,I hope you can get that sorted soon buddy. I love him standing up Keith his stalk being munched just adds something so special for me. i'm at a loss to comment on sharpness Keith looks good ,to me. Your pulling out some lovely hare images Keith keep pushing mate they are very inspiring for me and I feel as with Gabriela you will crate something amazing very soon.

take care

stu

keith mitchell
05-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Thanks Stuart much appreciated.