PDA

View Full Version : Theme Waiting

Steve Kaluski
04-25-2016, 02:00 PM
Inspired by Gabriela's recent posting (and with her approval), here is another Hyena stretching out, lying just outside the den waiting for the Clan to arrive back. We actually arrived at the den quite early to pick the best spot, which allowed greatest coverage around the den and for the dropping sun. Late afternoon, so a good soaking of saturated light.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Hyena (Hyaenidae) lying outside the den
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 resting on a bean bag
Exposure: 1/320s at f/7.1 ISO2500 EV +1
Original format: Portrait, very slight crop from the LHS and from the top
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC

Gabriela Plesea
04-25-2016, 03:29 PM
A very good evening to you Steve,

The most effective way in which my sense of what to look for in an image can be enriched is through visual experience. So I am extremely pleased you shared this image, for I absolutely love the sweet light, and to my great delight your character - a bit like like my hyena posted earlier - is as relaxed as I am when I lie in bed with a book in my hands...

Your frame speaks of tranquility and patience and I like the truthfulness of the colours, the proportion, faint shadows and tonality. You planned this well and your processing is impeccable, this looks so real I want to stretch out my hand and feel the soft fur, she might bite me but then again she might not, I do remain careful because those lively dark eyes are watching me:)

Great IQ for relatively low SS, that awesome light was in your favour and detail is superb. This so works for me, at times I am arrogant to think I know a lot, but once again your work humbles me. Thank you so much for sharing, Steve!

Warmest regards,

Steve Kaluski
04-25-2016, 04:01 PM
Thank you, but can I reply tomorrow please, both Mac & myself are running out of juice and it's been a long day of PP today, as you know. :w3

Gabriela Plesea
04-25-2016, 04:10 PM
Of course Steve:cheers: It has been a great pleasure sharing images and ideas here in the Wildlife Forum tonight, I too am on my way to dreamland now, also thinking this is such a nice space to be and I will be back:wave:

keith mitchell
04-26-2016, 03:35 AM
Steve without repeating myself afraid I cannot find anything that I would change not the cutest animal but the capture is excellent.

Keith.

haseeb badar
04-26-2016, 07:14 AM
Hi Steve -- Nice light and excellent details and sharpness . Great choice of DOF as well . You managed to produce such high quality images and the PP work is always spot on . And that Hyena always has that sheepish look for the things happening around it .

TFS !

Rachel Hollander
04-26-2016, 07:44 AM
Hi Steve - You know I like this one of the cooperative teenager. Definitely this was our best light at the den and he chose to sit in it but keeping an eye on us. Detail, tones and colors all look spot on.

TFS,
Rachel

Andre Pretorius
04-27-2016, 04:33 AM
Hi Steve

Stunning image!
Comp and IC perfect.
Good detail in darks.
There is good detail in nose, eyes, paws and some in ear, as DOF drops off; but not so much on forehead? Is that because of higher ISO at lower light ?

Stu Bowie
04-28-2016, 01:07 PM
Hi Steve, always late to your party, but I try and get there. I like the afternoon light here, and great detail on the head and paws. Your comp works well, with just enough space on top from the raised hairs. An excellent result with your high ISO. Well captured.